From harvest to table ~ what's cooking now?

This blog shows where all those garden goodies I grow end up. I call this little eating area next to the stove my "chef's table" because at all the best restaurants it's a privilege to be invited to dine in the kitchen where the chef reigns supreme. So here I am "reigning" and you are all invited. :-D

Monday, September 19, 2011

Roasted tomato paste

Thanks to a good crop of tomatoes this year, the freezer is filled with quart bags of vegetable stock (actually soup, it's so concentrated) and gallon bags of cut-up tomatoes waiting for a cold winter day to be cooked down for tomato soup.


So, when the romas got ripe, I decided to do something a little different.  I halved them, sprayed them very lightly with EVOO, and roasted them, skin side down (425 for 40 minutes with oven cracked to allow steam to vent).



Then I took the roasted halves, scooped out the thickened pulp from the skins, mixed it with a little roasted garlic granules and Italian seasoning, spread it back on the cookie sheet and roasted it again for 10-12 minutes.

I ended up with about 1.5C of a luscious thick and intensely flavored paste.  I used some immediately on a fresh veg medley over pasta and it was delicious!

I have more romas ripening now.  You can bet they are going to end up just like this.  Yum!

Click here to return to Melissa Majora main page.

1 comment:

  1. What a really clever thing to do! I can just smell it. I am thinking of a pizza sauce...I always add tomato paste to mine to give it a richer, thicker flavor and texture.

    Now, if I could just grow some tomatoes...

    ReplyDelete