From harvest to table ~ what's cooking now?

This blog shows where all those garden goodies I grow end up. I call this little eating area next to the stove my "chef's table" because at all the best restaurants it's a privilege to be invited to dine in the kitchen where the chef reigns supreme. So here I am "reigning" and you are all invited. :-D

Sunday, November 13, 2011

Tangy rhubarb sauce

A late harvest of 4# of rhubarb stalks. What a treat this time of year!

Washed and diced into the skillet.  It doesn't get much simpler.
Add sugar and spice and everything nice: sugar, cinnamon, cloves, allspice and (for kick) 1/2t of citric acid.

Simmer until soft.  I don't take it all the way down as I enjoy some texture in my treat.



Ah.  Warm, chunky goodness in a cup.  Between the tangy sauce and the sweet shortbread cookies, it's heaven in a cup.

And oh so good for you. Yum.



Click here to return to Melissa Majora main page.

4 comments:

  1. Kris, I didn't know you could get a fall harvest from rhubarb! At least my little plant is still alive...

    I like it just cooked down with sugar and served on either hot biscuits or toast. I love rhubarb pie too....not DH's favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glenda - As you might have read on the veg page, it was a surprise to me too that there were still sturdy stalks on the plant this fall. And I love rhubarb pie. A friend used to make rhubarb-custard pie. It was to die for!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I could eat the whole pot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We it being only me here, I end up eating the whole pot.... heh. At least I pace myself. ;-D

      Delete