From harvest to table ~ what's cooking now?

This blog shows where all those garden goodies I grow end up. I call this little eating area next to the stove my "chef's table" because at all the best restaurants it's a privilege to be invited to dine in the kitchen where the chef reigns supreme. So here I am "reigning" and you are all invited. :-D

Saturday, February 4, 2012

Simple scones

I'm a simple gal who really can't seem to get behind a recipe that calls for more than a half-dozen ingredients.  Sometimes I even leave something out.  I'm complicated. :-P

I found a nice scone recipe on Chef John's Food Wishes website and thought I'd give it a try since it's snowing outside and baking something would make the kitchen all cozy.

There were 9 ingredients, but I substituted the milk and sour cream with buttermilk; it also called for dried currants (or other fruit), but I had none so instead used the zest of a lemon for flavor.  And Chef John used an egg-n-milk wash to glaze the scones before baking, but I just used more of the buttermilk.
I even had my butter in the freezer as he suggested, but I realize now that I just HAVE to get a pastry blender.  Forks just don't (literally) cut it!  Eventually I got the dry ingredients to a mealy state, then added the buttermilk. Then I patted the dough out, cut it into the suggested 8 squares, laid them on the baking sheet and brushed on the buttermilk.


Just 18 minutes later in a 400F oven, the scones puffed up a bit and turned golden.  Yay.

I left them cool for all of 47 seconds and broke one in half.  The outside was crispy while the inside was moist and tender with just a hint of lemon.

I'd probably do it the same way next time, although by then I will have bought a pastry blender and some dried cranberries.  And maybe maybe maybe I'll cut back a bit on the butter because the finished scones were very rich -- in fact when all was said and done, the parchment paper was soaked with melted butter.

Anyway, there you go, Glenda.  Challenge accepted.  Done and done. *heh*

And, once again, thanks Chef John!

Click here to return to Melissa Majora main page.

2 comments:

  1. Well, they look absolutely delicious! Sometimes I use the food processor to blend in the fat. Just do it very briefly. You do need a pastry blender though. Wish I had some lemon curd to share.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Glenda. I'll bet your lemon curd would've sent these lemon scones over the top. And thanks for spurring me on to new challenges in the kitchen.

      Delete