From harvest to table ~ what's cooking now?

This blog shows where all those garden goodies I grow end up. I call this little eating area next to the stove my "chef's table" because at all the best restaurants it's a privilege to be invited to dine in the kitchen where the chef reigns supreme. So here I am "reigning" and you are all invited. :-D

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Lowfat scones


In my post on Simply Scones, I noted that next time I made them I was going to cut back on the butter because they oozed oil all over the baking pan.

So I found another recipe that asked for only 3T (rather than 5T) of butter. 

But I screwed up this batch.  First off I mis-read the ingredients and only added 1/4C sugar vs the 1/3C it wanted.  So they had little flavor except for the raisins.

Then I baked them in my little toaster oven and I think it never really kept 400F.  So after the 12-14 minutes it was supposed to bake, these were still too soft and unbrowned.  So I kept them in 18-20 minutes.  *sigh*  Yeah, you guessed it - they were dry.

So the only way a friend and I could enjoy these lovelies was to slather them in - wait for it.... - butter! LOL

But I did like how this recipe called for both baking soda AND baking powder.  They rose wonderfully.

So, lesson learned.  Add all the sugar.  And if the batter looks too dry (as mine did) add more buttermilk like they suggested.  Finally, I'll try to get the toaster oven hotter so the baking takes less time.

But you've got to admit, don't they look nice?  :-D

Click here to return to Melissa Majora main page.

2 comments:

  1. They do look very nice!

    My son does a recipe for scones that is so rich he says they don't need any butter for eating.

    My little toaster oven is tricky too. I let it preheat a long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I tasted that they were dry and suggested butter or jam to my friend, he suggested sausage and gravy. LOL

      Delete