From harvest to table ~ what's cooking now?

This blog shows where all those garden goodies I grow end up. I call this little eating area next to the stove my "chef's table" because at all the best restaurants it's a privilege to be invited to dine in the kitchen where the chef reigns supreme. So here I am "reigning" and you are all invited. :-D

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Monster spuds

What do you do when you have monster russet potatoes that each weigh over  1 pound?

Roast 'em!


I cut them in half, arranged them cut-side up on half sheets, sprayed them with olive oil, and roasted them at 375-400F for around 90 minutes (even cut in half, they were huge).


The oiled cuts caramelized, sealing in the moisture and allowing the insides to turn into a creamy/mealy texture.  The skins crisped up.  The insides could be scooped out and then the shell filled with most any combo imaginable.  Or, as I did right away, you can fluff up the center, add more olive oil (or butter) then sprinkle with fresh cracked pepper and sea salt.

Potato nirvana!

Most of these will be frozen for later use.  Can you imagine the home fries the'll make?  Or chunked into soups?  Or smothered in meatloaf gravy?  Or.....   Sorry.  Got a little drool on the keyboard.  I'd better stop now.  ;-D

Click here to return to Melissa Majora main page.

No comments:

Post a Comment