From harvest to table ~ what's cooking now?

This blog shows where all those garden goodies I grow end up. I call this little eating area next to the stove my "chef's table" because at all the best restaurants it's a privilege to be invited to dine in the kitchen where the chef reigns supreme. So here I am "reigning" and you are all invited. :-D

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Better buttermilk

I only had 2 cups of buttermilk left from my initial batch, so made some more.  This time I used whole milk (organic) AND I put the jars on a heating pad, just like I would for yoghurt.  (Using room temps like last batch took 36 hours to culture.)  This time, using the heating pad, the buttermilk got nice and thick in just 8 hours.

And, since I had all that space left on the heating pad, I made up 2 quarts of yoghurt as well.  (The yoghurt was done in 5 hours. I'm sure it went quicker than the buttermilk because the yoghurt milk started at 115F and held there by the heating pad.)

Since I used a sealed carton of milk to make the buttermilk, I'm not concerned about any culture crossing.  But next time, I think I'll just heat the milk to 185F like I do for yoghurt.  After all, it's not that much trouble and the resulting buttermilk is just delish.

After cooling yoghurt and buttermilk in the fridge overnight, I couldn't wait to make up another soda bread.  This time with an added 1C of raisins.  (Notice how thick and creamy the buttermilk turned out.)


The bread turned out juuuuust a little over-toasted, but oh soda-licious. YUM.

=============
a later version of the same
=============

This time I bumped up the sugar in the batter to 1/2 C (saving out 1.5t to sprinkle on the outside) and mixed in 1C of craisins (sweetened dried cranberries) and 1/2C of chopped walnuts.

The bread turned out fantastic! 



Click here to return to Melissa Majora main page.

2 comments:

  1. The kitchen and food pictures are my favorites!

    Beautiful group of healthy DIY food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Glenda. Your encouragement prods me on. :-D

      Delete