From harvest to table ~ what's cooking now?

This blog shows where all those garden goodies I grow end up. I call this little eating area next to the stove my "chef's table" because at all the best restaurants it's a privilege to be invited to dine in the kitchen where the chef reigns supreme. So here I am "reigning" and you are all invited. :-D

Thursday, May 24, 2012

In a pickle

There's been a decided trend this Spring.

(1st pic)  Neighbors T&T gifted me with a bag full of quart canning jars that they happened to have and thought I might get some use out of them.  There was a comment, "Are you going to make pickles this year?"

(2nd pic) Neighbors C&N brought back an empty bag I used to give them an armful of kale.  There were 2 VERY large canning jars inside.  They'd found them and thought I could use them.  "Are you making more pickles?"

Uh-oh. 


Subtle!  Even my mother keeps trying to give me empty glass jars from her kitchen.  I guess last year's foray into refrigerator pickles was a resounding success.  

But nobody beats the unsubtle approach my buddy Dave took. 

(3rd pic)  Last time we ventured up to Hartville for some shopping, I was presented with a no-nonsense straightforward gift of 6 HALF-GALLON canning jars.  "Here.  Make pickles."

(4th) pic.  Notice that no one gave me any PINT  jars... *snicker*

The cukes are just sprouting now for June plant out.  Grow fast, little guys.  Meanwhile - someone call Mother Nature.  Last year we got almost 50" of rain - and was TOTALLY responsible for the huge bumper crops of cukes!!   But this year has been dry/normal.  We'll just have to keep our fingers crossed.  What a pickle ...

Click here to return to Melissa Majora main page.

2 comments:

  1. You have them spoiled now Kris. I might even give you a few jars were you closer.

    I have little 2 inch long cucs on my self-seeded non-hybrid pickling cucumber vine. I am delighted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've got cukes already? It IS true, I know, that stuff that self-seeds and gets an early start produces fast. Look forward to posts about your pickle vines. As for me -- I'm doing a rain dance.

      Delete