From harvest to table ~ what's cooking now?

This blog shows where all those garden goodies I grow end up. I call this little eating area next to the stove my "chef's table" because at all the best restaurants it's a privilege to be invited to dine in the kitchen where the chef reigns supreme. So here I am "reigning" and you are all invited. :-D

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Savory oatmeal wedges

Most mornings I'm just too eager to get outside and play in the garden so I usually skip breakfast.  Well, I know that isn't good.  So years ago I came up with a healthy, high protein, high fiber breakfast that would make 6 servings that I can wrap up in the 'fridge and can be grabbed on-the-go in the morning.

In a bowl I whisk up 6 large eggs (only 3 yokes, I'm watching my cholesterol), then add 1- 1.5 C of rolled oats and 6T of milled golden flax seed.  I like mine spicy so add smoked chipotle powder, cracked black pepper and a little sea salt.

I whisk some more until it's a gloppy mess.  Let it sit a minute for the oatmeal to 'open up'.  Meanwhile I've heated a skillet to medium and sprayed it with olive oil.

Pour in the batter, spread it out, and let the bottom brown.  Then, with the courage of your convictions, get a spatula under it and flip it over.  Turn down the heat by half and let the other side cook (couple of minutes).  Turn off the heat and let it sit a minute.

Cut into 6 wedges.  Each wedge then contains an egg, about 1/4 C (dry) oatmeal and 1T of flaxseed.  I like mine warm with a little BBQ dipping sauce.  I also like it cold, right out of the 'fridge if I'm on the run.  Sure saves me time in the morning and I can still have a healthy bite before I head out.

Click here to return to Melissa Majora main page.

No comments:

Post a Comment