From harvest to table ~ what's cooking now?

This blog shows where all those garden goodies I grow end up. I call this little eating area next to the stove my "chef's table" because at all the best restaurants it's a privilege to be invited to dine in the kitchen where the chef reigns supreme. So here I am "reigning" and you are all invited. :-D

Friday, October 26, 2012

Bubble, bubble

3 days of ferment


4 days of ferment
5 days ferment


Very appropriate - considering Halloween is just around the corner.

Looks like the yeast nutrient is doing its job.  By day 5 it's really going strong with nearly an inch of thick foam on top.   There is no bad odor - only the smell of ripe apples.

I never know what I'll see when I lift the cover (pressing bag) every day.

IGOR!  Come quick!   It's .... ALIVE!!!    Woohaha.

====================
Day 6 - something new!
====================

The yeast must have digested all the sugar into alcohol - it has stopped foaming and the suds have sunk to the bottom.

Tomorrow (Sandy willing) I will rack to secondary gallon jugs.

6 days ferment - foam falling


Click here to return to Melissa Majora main page.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! that is really fermenting! I can imagine the smell.

    This is an exciting project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The smell isn't unpleasant - rather like very ripe apples. Lord only knows why I decided to have such a huge batch for this first effort. Oh well ... if it goes south, I'll have enough cider vinegar to last for years. LOL

      Delete