From harvest to table ~ what's cooking now?

This blog shows where all those garden goodies I grow end up. I call this little eating area next to the stove my "chef's table" because at all the best restaurants it's a privilege to be invited to dine in the kitchen where the chef reigns supreme. So here I am "reigning" and you are all invited. :-D

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Ooops! Missed an ingredient!

Wow.  2 posts in one morning! :-D

For some reason or other I had earlier decided to forgo adding yeast nutrient to the juice.

Don't know why.

So now that I had a tub of juice fermenting away from yesterday, I reconsidered and high-tailed myself down to the friendly neighborhood brewing supply shop and bought a jar.   "No biggie," he said.  "It's not too late to add it to the juice."  *whew*  No harm, no foul.

So I did, adding 4.5t of nutrient to 4.5 gallons of juice.  The nutrients add nitrogen, oxygen and other things that don't FEED the yeast, but ENABLE the yeast to grow better - like vitamins.

After sprinkling in the nutrient, I stirred the juice with a sterilized plastic spoon.  You can see how much yeast has developed in just 18 hours of pitching it.  Wow.  Stuff is HAPPENING in there!  I covered it back up to do it's thing some more.

Here's a pic of my cider setup in the basement.  The bucket of ferment should be racked into gallon 2nd ferment jugs within a week and I can clear the table then.  After all, that's my laundry table and eventually I'll run out of clothes.  *heh*


I'm lucky enough to not only have TWO brewing supply shops within a couple of miles, but even closer is a food supply store where they sell new and used restaurant utensils and supplies.  The white tub and the 8-quart lidded container are food grade plastic and will serve me well in this experiement.

As for the half-gallon jar of liquid?  That is a 1-step sani mix (1/2T to 1/2 gallon).  EVERYthing gets washed, dried and then doused in this no-rinse sanitizer.  I'd made some earlier to sanitize the pail, etc a couple of days ago, then dumped the rinse down the drain.  But the man at the shop said he uses his for a month, then dumps it.  Gee - now THAT's useful info.  I can make a batch of 1-step at the start of cider making and the rinse will last up to and including disinfecting everything needed for the 1st racking into jugs.  That'll save time (quick rinses for things like thermometers, hydrometers, spoons, etc. need occasionally) and $ (for rinsing out jugs, lids, racking cane, tubes, airlocks, etc.).

Anyway - that's all for today.  I shouldn't have to do anything more downstairs until maybe the weekend.  Check back then...

Click here to return to Melissa Majora main page.

2 comments:

  1. You are such a neat, meticulous person.....that may let me out of these kinds of projects!

    Good info on the rinse. I think our nearest brewery supply is an hour away
    in Ozark,Mo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I do something new for the first time, I'm very much 'by the numbers'. Then, when I understand WHY I'm doing those steps, I can color outside the lines in future.

      I used to make a huge mess when I first made Irish soda bread. It was a 'project'. Now I can whip one up while drinking coffee and not even get my hands sticky.

      Next year's cider (or later THIS year?) won't seem so complicated. Like with you and your soaps...

      Delete