From harvest to table ~ what's cooking now?

This blog shows where all those garden goodies I grow end up. I call this little eating area next to the stove my "chef's table" because at all the best restaurants it's a privilege to be invited to dine in the kitchen where the chef reigns supreme. So here I am "reigning" and you are all invited. :-D

Monday, October 8, 2012

Windfall apples

I bought a half-bushel of mixed windfall apples at Hartville market for $5.00; a nice mix of golden delicious, braeburn, macintosh, couple of jonathans, etc.  I figured these should make up some nice sauce.

But, really? Applesauce?  Again?

Hey, it's been a stressful summer.

Why not try something ... different?

Oh, now THIS should be fun.


Stay tuned.

Click here to return to Melissa Majora main page.

6 comments:

  1. Oh! Oh! Oh! You're making cider!! Or apple country wine!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yepper. Cider it is! Apple wine has too much alcohol for me (11%), but I can make cider with as little as 3.5 to 5% alcohol which is more like 'soft' cider than hard. Never done this before. Should be a hoot'n'a'half. :-D

      Delete
  2. Now this will be fun to follow! ll% too much???? Not for this old gal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I enjoy wine at 11%, Glenda. Don't worry about that! LOL It's just that cider tastes so nice and refreshing that I'd rather drink more than one glass at a time, so less alcohol = more glasses. *grin*

      Delete
  3. I hope you'll share with us where you bought your supplies, what you bought and why, and so on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ilene, if you follow that link I sent you, you'll see the cider process and what/why the equipment. We have a wine shop in town that carries brewing supplies and that's where I bought everything. They had a kit, but it was for 5 gallon batches and I am trying just 2 gallons this time to see how things go.

      Delete