From harvest to table ~ what's cooking now?

This blog shows where all those garden goodies I grow end up. I call this little eating area next to the stove my "chef's table" because at all the best restaurants it's a privilege to be invited to dine in the kitchen where the chef reigns supreme. So here I am "reigning" and you are all invited. :-D

Monday, November 26, 2012

Annual broth bonanza

Everybody in the pot
I feel sorry for those folks that, after the Thanksgiving holiday, they don't have a nice turkey carcass to call their own.

Oh, sure, it's convenient to have your feast at a restaurant or at friends and/or relatives, but, honestly, that's only the tip of the holiday iceberg!

Leftovers, people. Leftovers!  For sandwiches, casseroles, turkey tacos, dressing'n'gravy, etc.

And let's not forget the 400-pound gorilla of leftovers - the carcass!

Jellied turkey stock - skimmed
Sunday I got out my 10-quart stock pot and filled it with all the turkey bones, giblets, and bits of meat, covered them in 5 quarts of water, then added aromatic vegs to fortify the stock.  In went the usual suspects: carrots, a potato, 2 stalks of celery, a large onion, a handful of fresh parsley and the rest of the kale crisps.  Then came the garlic, black peppercorns, bay leaves.  Finally - 2T of white vinegar (to leach out some of the calcium from the bones - so good for you!).

I brought it all to a boil, turned it down to simmer and let it go for a good 5 hours.  I tell you, the house never smells as good as when there is stock simmering on the stove.  Especially when outside temps are in the 20s like it was here on Sunday.

Turkey stock in bags for the freezer - quart jar for Mom
That evening I strained out all the solids, transferred the stock to a smaller pot, and let it sit in the fridge overnight.

This morning the stock had settled (bits on the bottom, fat on the top and a nice medium jelly of stock in the middle).

I got 4.75 quarts of rich stock that I will use to make soups over this winter.  Do you know how many chickens I have to simmer up to get that much stock?  A lot!  My annual 12# turkey really gives me a big bang for my buck!

So, I'm sure all you "Yay, I didn't have to cook" diners had a holiday as lovely as mine.

Mine will, however, continue to warm my friends and I throughout the winter soup season.

Now there's something to be really thankful for!

Click here to return to Melissa Majora main page.

2 comments:

  1. I didn't know about adding the vinegar! I will do that next time.

    I did the same but made a huge pot of turkey vegetable soup and tossed in every last bit of leftovers into the stock. We had it for lunch and the I froze 3 quarts of soup, labeled and in the freezer! I feel very smug about that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bet the soup was great, Glenda. And you can feel smug again every time you defrost and serve it again. :-D

      Delete