From harvest to table ~ what's cooking now?

This blog shows where all those garden goodies I grow end up. I call this little eating area next to the stove my "chef's table" because at all the best restaurants it's a privilege to be invited to dine in the kitchen where the chef reigns supreme. So here I am "reigning" and you are all invited. :-D

Friday, November 23, 2012

Kale chips

Friends and I discussed what kind of veg we should have for Thanksgiving dinner.  Mashed potatoes?  Green bean casserole?   Candied sweet potatoes?

Nah - too heavy and filled with a lot of calories.   We wanted to save the calorie intake for desserts!  LOL

So I did a veg roast up with white potatoes, sweet potatoes, onions, Brussels sprouts, and kale.  Everything was cut into 3/8-1/2" slices, tumbled in olive oil, sprinkled with garlic granules, black pepper, and smoked paprika, then onto the top shelf of a very hot (500F) oven untl fork tender and the edges were all crispy.

The kale was an afterthought.  Since I'd been able to save it from the deer all year,  I wanted to use it symbolically to express being thankful.  *heh*  So I cut a handful of my Tuscan kale, removed the thick center stem, then cut it crosswise into 3" pieces.   It got the same treatment as the rest of the vegs, but I added whole mustard seed to the mix.


I kept an eye on the kale and it was done in a very short time (maybe 10 minutes).  I didn't take it all the way to totally toasted although some edges did.

Wow.  Talk about a flavor explosion!  And such a delicate crunch.  The chips were wonderful plain and even more so with a light sprinkle of salt.

While I wouldn't do up a batch of kale chips just FOR kale chips, but whenever I'm doing a veg roast from now on I'll be sure to add kale to the mix.

So between a large bowl of spicy mixed veg and kale chips, turkey and the rest of the trimmings, we enjoyed our Thanksgiving dinner very much.

Hope you did too.

Click here to return to Melissa Majora main page. 

2 comments:

  1. I never think outside the box for big dinners....my daughter always wants things exactly the same every year!

    I will be doing more roasted veggies for the two of us. I like the sound of your mix with those seasonings. You make me want to eat more healthy foods.

    Kale......still not a big fan of that one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been using the extra kale crisps on my turkey leftovers: In a bowl I pile in some of the veg and dressing and chunks of turkey & gravy, crumble kale on the top, and microwave. Talk about flavor! Yum.

      Hope you try roasting vegs. And before serving, try sprinkling them with some balsamic vinegar. It really brightens them up.

      Delete