From harvest to table ~ what's cooking now?

This blog shows where all those garden goodies I grow end up. I call this little eating area next to the stove my "chef's table" because at all the best restaurants it's a privilege to be invited to dine in the kitchen where the chef reigns supreme. So here I am "reigning" and you are all invited. :-D

Saturday, January 26, 2013

Chill-blasting chili


It snowed for 7 hours straight yesterday (Friday) and I had to go outside every hour or so to sweep/shovel off the deck else it would get too deep (heavy) for me to handle.

In between times I built up a nice pot of chili.

I'd cleaned out the chest freezer earlier in the week and was delighted to find lots of chili and soup ingredients that needed to be used.  I've been eating a lot of soup lately, so - chili it is.

First I browned a 2.5# container of ground turkey and set it aside.  Next I sautéed a couple of onions and some frozen green and hot peppers.  Then I added back the turkey, dumped in 2 large cans of kidney beans (I usually simmer up dry beans the day before, but poor planning on my part), a cup of yellow corn, a large can of tomato sauce and almost a cup of home-made roasted tomato paste. To give it even more flavor I added a cup of chicken stock that needed to be used up.  Oh, I also added a good splash of balsamic vinegar.

Then I went pell mell with the herbs and spices: powdered ancho & chipotle & onion; oregano & celery seeds; granulated garlic & cumin; smoked paprika, sea salt and black pepper.  I like my chili with some kick!

I brought the pot up to a boil, stirred it down, then set the temp to simmer.   And simmer it did - a good 4 hours.  It's funny.  At first the house smells of chili.  Then you get used to it and you don't notice it as much.  But I was in and out working on the deck quite often so when I would come in from the cold that spicy blast of chili fragrance hit me every time.

Eventually the snow stopped leaving 6" in the driveway.  *sigh*  After an hour of snowblowing, it was nearly 5:00 pm and I was cold and tired and ready for a much-needed payoff - supper!    I tucked into a big bowl of luscious chile (ribboned with some fresh kale) and a couple of my hearty spelt biscuits.  Ahhhh.  Now that's what I'm talking about.  :-D

Click here to return to Melissa Majora main page.

4 comments:

  1. Timely reminder - I have no more chilli in the freezer, must bulk cook a new batch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chili is just about the best cold-weather cure-all ever! Much more hearty than a soup - and all those hot peppers are so good for you. Batch up, girl! :-D

      Delete
  2. I missed this one. I am doing chili today....beef chili. I cooked pinto beans yesterday so will use the leftovers today in the chili.
    We enjoy it even in hot summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should do up a pot of beans to freeze so they'll be on hand for my next batch. How did your chili turn out?

      Delete