From harvest to table ~ what's cooking now?

This blog shows where all those garden goodies I grow end up. I call this little eating area next to the stove my "chef's table" because at all the best restaurants it's a privilege to be invited to dine in the kitchen where the chef reigns supreme. So here I am "reigning" and you are all invited. :-D

Sunday, January 27, 2013

Flat bread ....

... tortilla, pita bread what's the dif?

I'd just pulled another raisin/nut soda bread out of the oven so I'd have something sweet to have with coffee this week and knew I'd also need something to serve with chili.  At first I thought I'd make more spelt biscuits, but then remembered a batch of pita bread I'd made sometime last year.    Say, flat bread might be nice.  And - another opportunity to use my whole grain spelt flour. :-D

I see I didn't post about the pita bread on this page, but found the picture of it on the main blog page.  (Love the search on this Mac.)

Anyway - here's that pic.  As I recall, I didn't really much enjoy these pitas.  They were okay, but kinda dry and rather bland.  I ended up giving them to my Mom who pronounced them delicious.

Fast forward today.  I followed the simple recipe:

2C (spelt) flour
1.5t baking powder
1t salt
2t vegetable oil
.75C warm water

Mix flour & baking powder in bowl.  Add salt & oil to water & stir, then add liquid to dry.  Mix well, kneading spelt lightly for a minute or two in evenly distribute the water.  If too dry, add a few more drops of water to make a sticky dough.  Place dough in bowl and cover with damp paper towel for 15 minutes.   Remove dough to cutting board and cut into 8 equal pieces and roll into balls.  Let balls sit (covered) for 20 minutes.  Do not let them touch or they'll stick together.

Last 5 minutes of resting dough, heat up an iron skillet (med hot-ish).  Roll out balls to less than 1/4" thick.  Lay flat on hot skillet and grill on side for 30 seconds or until bubbles.  Flip.  30 seconds or so on second side.  If bread blackens instead of browns, reduce heat and remove skillet for a few moments to cool it down.

I think I rolled these out a little thicker than last year's batch, so they have more substance.  I grilled 4 flat breads normally, then did the 2nd 4 spritzed with olive oil.  Both types turned out nice, although the 2nd batch had more flavor. 

Next time I'll flavor the dough with garlic & onion powder, Italian seasonings and celery seed.  Maybe even some chipotle powder. And they freeze well, too.

Either way, the flat bread is much better with the spelt flour compared to my last effort and I'll definitely making more.

P.S.  This is bizarre.  When I was putting this post together and wanted to add last year's picture from the main blog I got quite a chuckle when I saw the stats on that old picture.  That first batch of pita breads where made - waaaaait for it --  Jan 27, 2012.   Exactly 1 year ago today.  What are the odds??

Click here to return to Melissa Majora main page.

2 comments:

  1. Those date things are kind of eery. I have often thought about making pita and/or flat breads but have never done any.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, sure knocked me for a loop when I read that date! As for the flatbread/pita - if *I* can do, you could probably knock out a batch without batting an eye.

      Delete