From harvest to table ~ what's cooking now?

This blog shows where all those garden goodies I grow end up. I call this little eating area next to the stove my "chef's table" because at all the best restaurants it's a privilege to be invited to dine in the kitchen where the chef reigns supreme. So here I am "reigning" and you are all invited. :-D

Monday, January 7, 2013

Not taking a pom for granted

I have occasionally enjoyed the juicy red seeds of pomegranate on salads and wraps, but have never actually bought one in the raw, so to speak.

There was a colorful pile of these things at the stores around Christmas and for just $1.50/ea, I decided it was time to tackle one myself.

Well, I had some medical issues over the holidays so the pomegranate languished in the 'fridge - until today.

I'd seen plenty of food shows where the chef makes working these things easy.

Riiiiiight.

First thing they say - quarter up the pom and then pull it apart in a bowlful of water because the pith floats and the seeds sink.  Okay.  Sounds pretty simple.  And when they do it, it looks pretty simple.

What they show you is the chef starting this process, then wipes his/her hands and moves on to a bowl of glossy seeds.

So I took half the pom, then halved that and plunged it into the water.  I quickly found out the easiest thing to do then is press the rind from convex to concave, like an orange section.  Then it's easy to pull out the clumps of seeds.  After that, you have to work the seeds off of the pith.

It's not that difficult, but it IS tedious.

But what the food shows DON'T show is that those seeds, when squeezed or knicked or squashed, they SPURT.  The juice is dark red and ended up everywhere: the backdrop tray, the wall, the counter top, the adjacent plant and my shirt!  

Oh good grief!!  The place ended up looking like a Quentin Tarantino flick.  Eeeeek.   I wiped up the juice immediately, and most of it came up okay.  But the cutting board turned dark and will need to be soaked in bleach.  I also had to douse my shirt with cold water and oxy-clean.  Luckily, after a bit, the stains came out.  Next time I'll wear my bib apron - or a trash bag. LOL

In the end I got 2.5C of juicy (very) seeds from 1 fruit (I was surprised I got so much!).  I'll keep some to use fresh and freeze the rest.  Now that I know the pitfalls, my next dissection should go a little more smoothly.  Cut!  Print!  That's a wrap, folks.

Click here to return to Melissa Majora main page.

4 comments:

  1. Mom used to buy us a pomegranate when we were kids for a treat. I don't think I have had one since!

    Enjoy! I know DH wouldn't like all the hard seed so I won't indulge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The crunchy/juicy seeds are something to get used to - but when tossed into salads or added to sandwiches/wraps, they aren't quite so confusing. But they are healthy and delish! LOL

      Delete
  2. Gosh, it's ages since I had fresh pom. We used to eat them simply cut in half, then take a cocktail stick, spear a few seeds and eat them straight out of the fruit. You still get juice all over your hand, down your wrist, half way to your elbow ..... it's a pomegranate thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those seeds also freeze well, so they are always handy to throw in salads or toss in sandwiches. I'm going to have to pick these up more often when in season.

      Delete