From harvest to table ~ what's cooking now?

This blog shows where all those garden goodies I grow end up. I call this little eating area next to the stove my "chef's table" because at all the best restaurants it's a privilege to be invited to dine in the kitchen where the chef reigns supreme. So here I am "reigning" and you are all invited. :-D

Thursday, February 14, 2013

It's a wrap ... and much more

Spelt wraps
All right, this should be the last flatbread post for a while.  After all, how many more iterations can there be?

First off - my utensils.  I've tried rolling things out on the counter with flour.  A sticky mess.  I've tried rolling dough out with the rolling pin.  Also a mess.

What I've finally hit upon is a poly cutting board to roll on.  The board is finely textured so flour doesn't just lay ON it, it embeds IN it , staying put under the dough.  No sticking.

As for the rolling itself, I've seen chefs use skinny dowels for the job.  What's that all about?

I decided to finally give that a go.  I bought a new 1/2" dowel, cut it to length, sanded it a bit, rounded the ends and voila.  A roller.  Now let's see what all the shouting is about.

OMG!  Turns out using the dowel vs using a rolling pin is like riding a motorcycle in heavy traffic vs a HumVee.

Quick, responsive, turns on a dime, doesn't stick to the dough.  Why did it take so long for me to try this????  Why, could there be (horrors) - a homemade pie crust in my future?

Anyway, THIS time I remembered to add the OIL to the dough and it did make a difference.  The dough was more supple and had more springiness (pull back) when rolled out.

The rolling was so enjoyable that I got carried away.  The 1st one ended up almost too large for the skillet. *heh*

I reigned myself back on the next one. 

But as you can see, these very thin flatbreads/tortillas turned out just like I hoped they'd be - flexible wraps!

Lunch was, no surprise here, a nice chicken and freshly picked greens filled wrap!  Yummo!


MONA (the sourdough starter)
Meanwhile, otherwhere in the kitchen....

Mona, the sourdough starter, has finally come in to her own.  The first week she was pretty unresponsive.  When she still didn't look anything more than a jar of glue on the 8th day  I added 1/4t of apple cider vinegar to the poor dear.

The very next day she really perked up.  (Note: I have a cool kitchen - only mid 60s - and sourdough really should be started in the 70s.)

Now, while still a little slow, she's really looking good.  Another week and I (ooops, I mean WE) should be able to try making sourdough bread.  Now THAT should put a crimp in the number of flatbread posts!  *grin*

Click here to return to Melissa Majora main page.

6 comments:

  1. I'm not so sure about Mona but that wrap looks sublime :}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't have sourdough over there? And the wrap WAS very tasty. :-D

      Delete
  2. The flat bread looks super. I started using a French rolling pin a couple of years ago and found it to be superior to the traditional large rolling pin.

    The only sourdough bread I have tasted was just that 'sour', not to my liking at all. I will be interested to hear what you think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sourdough is different everywhere since it's made with wild yeast. Most folks are used to the variety from San Francisco which is a bit sour in taste. I'm hoping Mona is laid back...

      Delete
  3. Very interesting about both the rolling stick and the apple cider vinegar. I'll have to get one of those sticks/dowels to try.

    I kept a sour dough starter alive for over a year before it expired of neglect. It was actually an accident; I was soaking whole wheat flour with water and whey overnight to make bread. I let it sit for more like 24 hours and when I went to make the bread, the starter had started! Must be the acid it likes. My sourdough breads were sour, in fact Dan didn't care for them. I figured out that if I added a teaspoon or so of baking soda to the dough it sweetened the bread up nicely. It's fun stuff to experiment with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a good tip about adding soda to sourdough to take away some of that 'tang'. I'll use that. :-D

      When I had a full-time job, there was no time to 'play' like this. In summers now I'm pretty much busy with the gardens and yard, but lately, in winters, I've got new kitchen interests to pursue. This is what I'd always hoped retirement would be like. Fun.

      Delete