From harvest to table ~ what's cooking now?

This blog shows where all those garden goodies I grow end up. I call this little eating area next to the stove my "chef's table" because at all the best restaurants it's a privilege to be invited to dine in the kitchen where the chef reigns supreme. So here I am "reigning" and you are all invited. :-D

Thursday, February 7, 2013

Lots more lacto....

You know me - when I get interested in something I tend to get really focused.

I've been reading some very interesting blogs lately:
(GNOWFGLINS) (lots of ferment info, vids & recipes)
(PRAIRIE) (many uses for whey)
(WHOLE LIFESTYLE)  (citrus based sourdough starter)
 about how to introduce the ancient art of lacto-fermentation into my daily kitchen.

In the previous post I did up a simple jar of spicy ginger carrots.  They started making bubbles within 24 hours (3rd pic down).

With instant gratification like that, I went a little further yesterday.  I made (GNOWFGLINS) hummus.   After mixing I covered the hummus and am letting it sit on the counter for 24 hours (or longer) to ferment before putting it in the fridge.

By now I'm very excited about this new project.  Next step: I'm making up a batch of sourdough spelt starter.  I found 2 ways to make sourdough starter (GNOWFGLINS & WHOLE LIFESTYLE) and settled on the WF recipe mostly because it specifically calls for whole grain spelt.  And you know me, I'm totally in love with spelt at this point. *heh*  (Visions of sourdough spelt loaves, sourdough spelt pancakes, sourdough spelt flatbread dance in her head.) 

Between finding alternatives to common/modern wheat and now learning how to ferment foods to make it MORE nutritious, I've really become mindful or what I choose to eat.  I used to just cook and eat - samo samo stuff.  Now I explore, experiment and evaluate.  Home cooking is no longer a chore.

It's an adventure!

When's the last time you tried something totally new and different in YOUR kitchen? 

Click here to return to Melissa Majora main page.

4 comments:

  1. Interesting, I shall follow some of your links when I've a few moments and the brain is switched to receive :}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your brain has a switch? I'm jealous.

      Delete
  2. The last time was when I first used the spice turmeric in cooking. I loved it and still put it in all my rice.

    I am not a very daring cook.

    Are these choices all based on health?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always tried to figure out why my homemade chicken soup didn't taste like store bought. Then I discovered turmeric and now I use it all the time, especially, like you, in rice dishes. And it's so good for you.

      Delete