From harvest to table ~ what's cooking now?

This blog shows where all those garden goodies I grow end up. I call this little eating area next to the stove my "chef's table" because at all the best restaurants it's a privilege to be invited to dine in the kitchen where the chef reigns supreme. So here I am "reigning" and you are all invited. :-D

Saturday, March 2, 2013

Decanting water kefir

After 48 hours in my decidedly cool (mid 60s) kitchen, the water kefir is ready to decant.

Look at the fermentation bubbles.

Look at all those plump kefir grains.

These guys are as healthy as all get out and have consumed all of the Turbinado sugar and molasses.  Time to move on.

I've decided to flavor all of this first batch of kefir and am going to use peach nectar in 2 re-used soda bottles and some Mighty Mango in the other 2.












So I measured out 1/2C of fruit juice into each bottle (only 3 are shown here - 2 peach and 1 mango, but I had more kefir so later added a 4th mango bottle).










Then I strained off the kefir grains into a quart measuring cup. I was supposed to use only a NYLON screen, but only had metal.  Hope I've not harmed the poor things.

Goodness - I got more grains from just ONE of the ferment jars than I originally put into BOTH of the ferment jars.  There must be over 3/4C here - double than went in 48 hours ago!




Finally,  I poured the kefir water into the bottles with the fruit juice, capped them then shook them lightly to mix.

I ended up with 3.5 16oz bottles of kefir/juice blend.

I also ended up with a freaking TON of water kefir grains.  There's well over 1.5C of them now.  Whoa!  Is this NORMAL???








Now I'll put the kefir/juice bottles on the shelf for 24 hours to let residual kefir yeast/bacteria cultures in the water to ferment the sugars in the juices.  This should fizz up the beverage lightly.

After 24 hours I'll put all the bottles in the 'fridge to stop the fermenting.

As for all those kefir grains?  Well, I won't be needed them for the next couple of days (I'm one person - I can only drink so much, y'know!).

So I followed instructions: put the grains in a roomy jar, fed them with more Turbinado & some molasses, capped it and put in right into the fridge to cool.

In a couple days I'll divide the grains, sending some to Leigh (5 Acres & a Dream) in exchange for some of her MILK kefir grains.

I'll be tasting both kefir juices come Monday and will be sure to let you know the final results. 

Are YOU interested?  Here' a great link for more WATER KEFIR info.

==================
Update - 4 hours later.  I shot an email to April (see previous post) and she said that healthy grains DO reproduce that fast.  Holy mackerel!  I've got to find homes for these babies. LOL  Meanwhile, she suggested 50/50 for juice/kefir water, so I added a 5th bottle for overflow, then topped off the bottles with more juice.  Already there was fizz in the bottles and some tasty flavor from some quick sips.  :-D  I'm really going to enjoy this!

Click here to return to Melissa Majora main page.

4 comments:

  1. Interesting. I researched some on kefir grains and it doesn't seem like you should have to be very careful about temperature or anything else when you consider how it got started...in a goatskin in pretty primitive conditions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes - but try and score a goatskin bag THESE days. LOL Those were milk grains in the skin, though. Anyway, this morning will be 18 hours of juice ferment, so then into the fridge to cool. I will enjoy some fizzy juice with lunch today. If you want water kefir grains, Glenda. Just ask. I seem to be able to grow them like crazy. :-D

      Delete
  2. Wow! I'm very impressed and also very excited, LOL. I was wondering about adding fruit juice so you answered that question. I'm planning to get your milk kefir grains in the mail tomorrow. I'll email you after they're on their way. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to get your water kefir in the mail Monday to you and will email. I had no idea how they would proliferate. Yikes! Hope you check the current post - taste testing.

      Delete