From harvest to table ~ what's cooking now?

This blog shows where all those garden goodies I grow end up. I call this little eating area next to the stove my "chef's table" because at all the best restaurants it's a privilege to be invited to dine in the kitchen where the chef reigns supreme. So here I am "reigning" and you are all invited. :-D

Sunday, March 3, 2013

One fine fizz!

In yesterday's post I PS'd that I decided to add more juice to the kefir water, bringing the ratio of juice to kefir to 50/50.

That said, I needed to add another bottle to the group, bringing the total up to 5.  (Talk about scope creep!)

Anyway, after a full 18 hours of juice/kefir ferment at room temp, I put the bottles into the fridge.  But I couldn't wait until they were icy, instead, after sweeping the snow off the deck, I came in and poured out half a glass of the Mighty Mango blend.

Houston - WE. HAVE. FIZZ! Delish.


Click here to return to Melissa Majora main page.

8 comments:

  1. So what does it taste like? Is it sour? Inquiring minds want to know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The peach nectar & Mighty Mango taste just like from their own bottles, but fizzy on the tongue. It's delish! Next batch I'll make up something less fruity - like Ceylon tea (and I'll add a bit of agave nectar so the probiotics can convert it into fizz). After all - the kefir water by itself does not taste sour, it tastes like weak sugar water - no taste of it's own that I noticed.

      Delete
    2. I can just see the master saying what is that? He won't touch buttermilk or yogurt! I better pass.

      Delete
  2. I love this. The possibilities are endless. I'm thinking ginger kefir water. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you - ANYthing goes here. I can see juice, tea, herbs, you name it. And it doesn't get any simpler than making the water and then flavoring it and letting it ferment to fizz. :-D

      Delete
  3. This is fascinating, but I can see it requires organisation and discipline.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually - I'm as undisciplined as the next. The first time out it seemed complicated. Now it's as easy as making coffee or whipping up a soda bread. Easy peasy.

      Delete