From harvest to table ~ what's cooking now?

This blog shows where all those garden goodies I grow end up. I call this little eating area next to the stove my "chef's table" because at all the best restaurants it's a privilege to be invited to dine in the kitchen where the chef reigns supreme. So here I am "reigning" and you are all invited. :-D

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Smooooth move

With my recent health problems, one concern is trying to keep weight on.  Ever since I suddenly dropped over 12# 18 months ago, I have to eat more than I think I should at my age.  And when that gets old, or boring, or my appetite just evaporates, I loose weight quickly.  And that's not good for me.

So lately I've been trying to tease myself into eating an 'extra' little meal every day.  That doesn't always work out, but recently I've starting making smoothies.  They aren't as overwhelming or as intimidating as something heavy or even a sandwich.

The first ones I made were flavored after my favorite Baskin Robbins ice cream: Jamoca Almond Fudge.

The basic of all my smoothies are 1C plain yogurt, a banana, a heaping tablespoon of ground flaxseed (super anti-inflammatory and, like the banana, lends body to the blend) and a cup of ice cubes.

To achieve the flavor of the BR ice cream, I added 1t of decaf coffee crystals, 1t of cocoa powder, 1T of agave nectar and a heaping tablespoon of well-ground almonds.  *slurp*  Yep, that's pretty darn close. 

After a couple of those, I decided to branch out.  For some reason, I decided to make something green.  Why?  Who knows.  It just struck my fancy. Maybe because it's supposed to be spring and things are supposed to be green (even though the current 6" of snow says otherwise)?

To the basic ingredients, I added 1/2 avocado, 1 kiwi, and for even more color - 3 large freshly-harvested swiss chard leaves (from the basement greens bin).  I also added a good squeeze of lemon for a bit of sour. *slurp*

Wow.  Totally surprised that it tasted as good as it looked.  And all the ingredients are super healthy and anti-inflammatory.

Not only are these tasty and easy to get down, the ground flax and nuts makes the smoothie more of a meal than just a snack.  Best of all, (at least for now) I look forward to my daily dose from Dr. Blender.

====== different day - different color


Avocados really jumped in price at the store, so today I brought home a couple cartons of blueberries and made up a blue smoothie.

To the 'basic blend' I added 3/4C of blueberries, a heaping tablespoon of blackberry jam and a really heaping tablespoon of ground walnuts.

This blue didn't get as blue as the green one got as green, *slurp* but delicious, nonetheless.  (The walnuts went very well with the berries.) :-D

Stay tuned for more experiments with colorful concoctions. :-D

Click here to return to Melissa Majora main page.

5 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious :) Clever girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it was soo delish. I had reservations about the chard leaves, but they were so sweet and succulent I decided to try them (after removing the stem & thick center veins). I couldn't taste them in the final ssmoothie, but I know the nutrition boosted the total benefit. :-D

      Delete
  2. Have you calculated the calories? Maybe you should if you really need weight. I could lend you extra weight.....a lot if you want it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The green smoothie totaled out around 500 calories and all of it healthy - no empty calories in the lot and full of fiber. I've been able to stay the same weight for 3 days now!

      There's a diff between 'social standard' weight and healthy weight. At this lower weight I am shaky, nervous and anxious. And it plays havoc with my blood pressure.

      But thanks for the offer -- that's so generous of you. ;-D

      Delete
  3. They look really yummy. Great idea about the Swiss chard.

    ReplyDelete