From harvest to table ~ what's cooking now?

This blog shows where all those garden goodies I grow end up. I call this little eating area next to the stove my "chef's table" because at all the best restaurants it's a privilege to be invited to dine in the kitchen where the chef reigns supreme. So here I am "reigning" and you are all invited. :-D

Thursday, March 7, 2013

Tired of my WATER kefir posts?

Fine!   Here's my first MILK kefir post. *snark*

Leigh (from 5 Acres & a Dream) sent me a culture of milk kefir grains.

I, in turn, sent her some of my rampantly growing water kefir grains.

Her gift came in a baggie with a couple tablespoons of milk and a clump of grains.  All I had to do was dump the whole kit n kaboodle into a jar with 2C of milk (ANY kind of milk - room temp, cold, whole, skim, cow, you name it). 

Now THAT's what I call simple!



I left the jar on the counter with a loose lid and *presto chango* 24 hours later I had a jar of milk kefir. 

(And it didn't matter that I used organic ultra-pasteurized milk.  Don't let ANYone tell you that ultra-pasteurized milk is 'dead' and can't be used to culture.  I've cultured yogurt & buttermilk for years with this stuff and the kefir were happy campers in that jar.)








I strained the milk and recaptured the milk kefir grains.   As you can see, they are different from the water kefir grains.  The water grains are individual gelatin blobs, while the milk grains grow in a cluster and look like cottage cheese.  That cluster thing makes it really easy to strain them out.











The milk itself had turned thick and silky - not quite as thick as buttermilk, but smooth.  It's more tangy than buttermilk, that's for sure. 

I don't plan (at this point) to drink the milk plain or flavored.  What I DO plan on is substituting the kefir milk in all my baking (bread, biscuits, pancakes, etc.) where it calls for buttermilk.










For now I poured the kefir milk in a clean jar, and put it in the fridge to cool.

I'll be making up a soda bread this weekend and can't wait to use the kefir milk in it.

Stay tuned for more. :-D

Click here to return to Melissa Majora main page.



5 comments:

  1. I'm so glad it's doing so well for you! It is super easy and super versatile. I'll look forward hearing how the soda bread turns out. And of course you'll include the recipe? (hint, hint)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Leigh. Click the 'soda bread' label on the sidebar and you'll see everything I have on soda bread: wheat flour, spelt flour, buttermilk, whey, fruit, nuts, plain, etc.

      Hope you water kefir is doing well!

      Delete
  2. Be interesting to see how the bread turns out. I keep buttermilk going for about a month before I start over.

    I wonder how long the kefir milk will stay good in the fridge?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems like it stores quite well from the site I visit: Dom's kefir site.

      Delete
  3. Looks like you're not the only one enjoying kefir!

    http://www.gsheller.com/2013/06/like-kefir-for-chickens.html/comment-page-1#comment-49146

    ReplyDelete