From harvest to table ~ what's cooking now?

This blog shows where all those garden goodies I grow end up. I call this little eating area next to the stove my "chef's table" because at all the best restaurants it's a privilege to be invited to dine in the kitchen where the chef reigns supreme. So here I am "reigning" and you are all invited. :-D

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Super smoothie

My water kefir grains continue to thrive and multiply in spite of my curtailing efforts.  (I no longer add molasses and use only RO water, not my mineral-laden well water.)  Even so, after a few batches I have more than enough grains to do the job.

This used to upset me because I hated to compost them (but a girl has only so much room in the fridge for free-loading livestock, y'know).

No fear.  I found the ultimate solution.  When this girl's got grains, her smoothies get gumption!  Now I get a pro-biotic boost when I add 1/2C of excess grains.  Benefit (besides the pro-biotics) is that plumps up the smoothie, making it thicker.  (So much so that this first batch was so thick I had to eat it with a spoon. LOL)

In future I'll just add more ice to the 'grainy' batches which will thin it a bit, making for a great cold slurp on a warm day.

Win win, here. Yum!

Click here to return to Melissa Majora main page.

No comments:

Post a Comment