From harvest to table ~ what's cooking now?

This blog shows where all those garden goodies I grow end up. I call this little eating area next to the stove my "chef's table" because at all the best restaurants it's a privilege to be invited to dine in the kitchen where the chef reigns supreme. So here I am "reigning" and you are all invited. :-D

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Using my noodle

Spelt noodle, that is.

It's been over 4 months since I gave up modern wheat and, for the most part, I've been able to use rice, beans and spelt to fill the gaps in my menus.

But I've been hankering for some pasta or noodles.  I miss spaghetti and noodle casseroles.  So I set off to try my hand at noodle making.

I read noodle packages at the health food store.  Ingredients: spelt, water.  Well gee, how hard can THAT be?




I mixed up water and spelt until had a nice dough, set it aside for 15 minutes to rest, rolled it out to about 1/8" thick, then sliced it into ribbons with my pizza cutter.  They were sticky and tended to hang on to each other.  I let them dry for a good 36 hours, then bagged them up for a while.





Today I wanted something hearty for lunch and thought - noodles!

Into the boiling water went the bag of whole grain noodles.  Goodness, they seemed to take for.ev.er to soften up (probably because they are whole grain).










Over ten minutes later they finally softened up a bit.  I wanted them luscious, not too al dante.  There.






I tossed them with a couple pats of butter, a bit of salt, some grinds of pepper and a nice sprinkle of sunflower seeds and fresh parsley.

Smelled good.  Forked up nice.  *taste test*  Say.  Not bad.  Not bad at all.  Way more flavor than white pasta and a little more chew.  Wonder how it would mix with tomato sauce?  Hmmm, I DO have some sifted spelt.  Bet I could make some hearty linguine noodles.   Yep, sounds like a plan.  :-D

Do YOU make your own pasta or noodles?  Got any tips for a newbie like me?  :-D

Click here to return to Melissa Majora main page.

4 comments:

  1. I have made egg noodles before but not on a regular basis. Yours look very good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure they are nothing compared to your egg noodles, Glenda. You're such a terrific cook.

      Delete
  2. Never tried making my own pasta, but might well give it a goo after reading your efforts. That dish looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarina. Hello! How nice to see you here. Yes, I just gave it go and was pleasantly surprised. I'll definitely make more. I'll post on the sifted (white) spelt linguine when I do.

      Delete