From harvest to table ~ what's cooking now?

This blog shows where all those garden goodies I grow end up. I call this little eating area next to the stove my "chef's table" because at all the best restaurants it's a privilege to be invited to dine in the kitchen where the chef reigns supreme. So here I am "reigning" and you are all invited. :-D

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Forgiving fermenters

I've not been using my kefir grains since I got ill.  They've languished in the back of the 'fridge, ignored.

I vaguely remember (between doctor visits) using the water grains in some smoothies earlier in Spring, but didn't keep up with that.

At first I tried to keep them 'changed out' on a regular basis, but even that fell by the wayside.

I felt kinda bad.  But I had other priorities.  Then nearly 2 weeks ago, I decided they probably all needed to be put in the compost.  After all, the 'storage' date on both was 6/17.  Nearly 2 mos.  Surely they are bad....

But no.  The water kefir looked good and there were still bubbles in the water.  The milk kefir had solidified the 1/2C of milk, but they looked and smelled fresh.

So I changed their respective living conditions and put them back in the 'fridge.

Where, as you can see by the dates there and today's date, they they have reverted back to early languish mode.  (The milk has thickened up and there are bubbles in the water.)

I don't want to lose them, but I'm just not being as adventurous with my diet these days as I regain health and weight with tried and true foods right now.

Still, it's good to know that these guys are pretty forgiving and will most likely be ready when I'm ready for them.

Click here to return to Melissa Majora main page.

3 comments:

  1. I am glad to hear you are eating and gaining some weight again.

    The kefir can wait.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've just met you, and appreciate your dedication to eating natural products. See you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Susan, didn't see this comment sooner. Thanks for stopping by. Yep, we are what we eat. :-D

      Delete