From harvest to table ~ what's cooking now?

This blog shows where all those garden goodies I grow end up. I call this little eating area next to the stove my "chef's table" because at all the best restaurants it's a privilege to be invited to dine in the kitchen where the chef reigns supreme. So here I am "reigning" and you are all invited. :-D

Friday, September 27, 2013

Going to pot...

... Roasts, that is!

While at BJs yesterday I saw that those baseball bat-sized boneless pork loins were going for $2.19/lb.  Nice!  Good time to buy for the freezer.

But wait.  Check this?  Some were marked down.  Ah.  The 'best by' date was for Oct 2nd.  And it was only Sept 26.  Marked down to $1.49/lb.  SCORE!   I picked out a nice one weighing almost 9#.

The sign said they would section large pieces no charge.  So they did.  I HAD expected each piece to be individually wrapped, but no.  I thought I wouldn't have to do any re-cutting.  Darn. Next time I'll just cut it up at home. 

Ah well.  So I cut them into more manageable sizes and, while I did trim off just a bit of fat, I left enough for flavor on each piece. 

In the end I packaged up 6 (1.5~1.75#) packages of 2 chunks each.  (Cutting them smaller will allow them to braise more quickly in the Dutch oven.)  Yum.

I can imagine how good these will be with potatoes, carrots, onions, garlic, herbs.... *heh*  Makes you almost look forward to winter, doesn't it? 

What finds are YOU squirreling away for winter right now?

Click here to return to Melissa Majora main page.

6 comments:

  1. Good find - well done. RMan wants to know when he should arrive...?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He WILL be bringing the wine, yes? :-D

      Delete
  2. I will be looking for meat sales if the DH doesn't roundup a large calf to fatten! He has been dragging his heels for a long time. I am starting to show him meat prices in the store; that should get him going.

    Good buy on the pork. I love it served with sweet potatoes. I have my fingers crossed that I have actually got some waiting to be dug in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It boggles my mind that you aren't just rolling in good beef on your own table when you are raising them. Still, I suppose they are your income and you can't just chow down on them all the time.... Hope you get some sweet potatoes. :-D

      Delete
  3. Excellent score! Gosh, but it's been awhile since I visited. We've had so much rain this summer that the garden hasn't produced all that well. But we get enough for just the two of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh, HI. Yeah, been reading up on all your summer projects (inside and out). You've been a busy gal. My smaller garden did decent this year and I've got a few beans and tomatoes in the freezer to go with this pork loin.

      Delete