From harvest to table ~ what's cooking now?

This blog shows where all those garden goodies I grow end up. I call this little eating area next to the stove my "chef's table" because at all the best restaurants it's a privilege to be invited to dine in the kitchen where the chef reigns supreme. So here I am "reigning" and you are all invited. :-D

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Stock options

Tomatoes are coming in fast now.  Way more than I expected!  I've already got 4 gallons of paste tomatoes in the freezer so now it's time to stock up on veg stock for winter soups.

Into the pot: tomato, bell pepper, carrot, celery, potato, green bean, Brussels sprout, onion & summer squash.  (I got to use my new LSD (labor-saving device) - a cool peeler - gift from Dave.  It works like a champ.  Veeeery sharp so kept a close eye on all fingers and thumbs!)

To the veg in the stockpot: garlic granules, peppercorns, chipotle powder & herbs.  For liquid I used the hot water used to blanch green beans.  Cover, bring to boil and simmer for about 5 hours.  Strain, cool and bag up broth.  (I got 7 2-C bags.)

While stock was simmering I froze some green beans, corn and not-hot jalapeños.  Finally, the tomato/veg count diminished.

Time for an afternoon snack - a nice tomato/spinach/moz salad.  Yum.


Click here to return to Melissa Majora main page.

2 comments:

  1. I need to slow down and pay attention. I don't know how I missed this interesting post. The pictures are good enough to eat.....I will be doing this next gardening season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you finally found this post. I had kinda wondered that you'd given this entry a pass... Let us hear from you when you make your stock.

      Delete