From harvest to table ~ what's cooking now?

This blog shows where all those garden goodies I grow end up. I call this little eating area next to the stove my "chef's table" because at all the best restaurants it's a privilege to be invited to dine in the kitchen where the chef reigns supreme. So here I am "reigning" and you are all invited. :-D

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Whole grain pancakes

I like to make up a batch of spelt pancakes and then freeze them for later enjoyment.

Now there's nothing special about how I make them and what's in them (the usual suspects: whole grain spelt flour, baking soda, shake of salt, egg, and liquid - usally kefir milk, or buttermilk or regular milk soured with 1T of lemon juice).

What's NOT in them is sugar.  I also leave out flavoring (like vanilla).

What I end up with is what I call a 'savory' pancake - something that I can use not only with breakfast (maybe with some fruit and agave syrup), but I can also use them to accompany hot soups and stews.  Then I could spread them with garlic butter or herbs.

By not sweetening the batter, these pancakes can hang out with any meal or snack (like when I was out of bread so I smeared a couple with peanut butter and I was good to go).

Oh sure, when we get together FOR breakfast then I crank out the standard sweetened/flavored 'cakes.  But for lots more options, I'm just as likely to make up a batch of these go-with-anything variety.

How about you?  Do you consider pancakes a single-use food?  Or can you dress yours up for any way for any meal?

Click here to return to Melissa Majora main page.

2 comments:

  1. I usually just have a couple left over and I heat those for DH that evening.

    I don't do whole grain much; I nee to try them again. Yes, even though mine have a little sweetener added we use them either as a snack or treats for the dog. I bet they would work as wraps for sandwiches. I need to try that with some chicken breasts stir fried. You give me good ideas. Thanks.

    Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You give me lots of ideas right back, Glenda. I've tried making a big 'cake and then wrapping, but they get too soggy to hold together, so I just use one as a base under moist stuff (like sautéed veg, stir fry, etc.). For wrapping I use my spelt tortillas - they are made of sterner stuff. *heh*

      Delete