From harvest to table ~ what's cooking now?

This blog shows where all those garden goodies I grow end up. I call this little eating area next to the stove my "chef's table" because at all the best restaurants it's a privilege to be invited to dine in the kitchen where the chef reigns supreme. So here I am "reigning" and you are all invited. :-D

Sunday, November 24, 2013

In praise of braise

The temps hovered in the low teens today (Sunday) so it was a good time to have the stove going.  Remember the pork loin I'd cut/bagged/frozen earlier?  I decided it was time to enjoy something savory for dinner and pork fit the bill.

A really simple prep this time.  I sliced the mini roast into 4 (each about 3/4" thick) boneless chops.  I seared them on both sides in the iron skillet, tossed in some sweet apples, savory onions, colorful dried cranberries and, for a bit of liquid, about a cup of hard apple cider.  Sprinkle liberally with cracked black pepper, bring to a boil, then turn the heat down to very low, cover and walk away and do something else for a while (like polishing off the other half of the bottle of cider *heh*).


An hour later, I turned the chops and added carrots and potatoes, garlic, chipotle powder and more cracked black pepper. I left it to braise some more.





Wasn't long before I was more than ready for dinner.




Lovely.  And 3 more meals left in the skillet!

Click here to return to Melissa Majora main page.

2 comments:

  1. Kris, that looks absolutely delicious. I came by to tell you that I've just published my homesteading book! Shameless self promotion, I know, but I'm so excited I just want to tell the whole world. If you have a chance, please drop my blog to help me celebrate!

    ReplyDelete