From harvest to table ~ what's cooking now?

This blog shows where all those garden goodies I grow end up. I call this little eating area next to the stove my "chef's table" because at all the best restaurants it's a privilege to be invited to dine in the kitchen where the chef reigns supreme. So here I am "reigning" and you are all invited. :-D

Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Sam's loss, BJs gain - turkeyloaf

I haven't made up a meat loaf in a long long time.

Reason is, I used to be able to buy Jennie-O ground turkey (5# packs) at Sam's club at a good price (about $2.35/lb and 93% fat free).

It made the best burgers, meatloafs, meatballs, chile.  Any recipe that called for ground meat, that Jennie-O turkey was excellent.

Then Sam's stopped selling it, instead they offered some unknown stuff selling under their Member Mark label.  It looked grey.  And nasty.  I passed. (Here's what other members say about it - CLICK HERE then click 'ratings and review' tab.) Like some of those who commented, I did not renew my Sam's membership since the Jennie-O was what brought me into the store.  It had become a staple, y'see.

Anyway, after that I couldn't find Jennie-O locally anywhere else except Acme and they wanted - waaaait for it - $4.49/lb!!  Good grief.

Since then I've pretty much been without foods that use ground turkey except when Acme marks down packs that are about to expire and even then it's still pricey.

Last week, though, I was at BJs and found a 3# pack of Purdue ground turkey (93% fat free and about $2.60/lb) so decided to give it a try.

I assembled a couple of nice meatloafs:

3# ground turkey
1C sweet red peppers
1C shredded zuchinni
1C chopped onions
1C rolled oats
3 large eggs
salt, pepper, garlic, marjoram

Covered, I popped them into a preheated (350F) oven and slow roasted them for almost 2 hours.  (I took longer than normally because I'd also filled the empty rack with 10# of potatoes to roast.)

I took off the foil for the last 10 minutes and turned the broiler on to brown up the loaves.

A quick sample while it was still warm seemed pretty good, but the real test will be when it has cooled overnight in the 'fridge.

=======  next day

Okay, the loaves are cool and have set up.  I went at them with my trusty bread knife (honestly, it's better than anything else on stuff like this).

The eggs and oatmeal did their job - binding the loaves so that it could be cut and the slices did not fall apart.  Most of the slices here are 1/2", but I also cut some 1/4" slices which I will use in quesadillas.

Texture aside, I'm happy to say that the Purdue turkey is totally acceptable.  Little fat when cooking, smells fresh right out of the pack and while cooking.

Bottom line, until I can find another cost-efficient source for ground Jennie-O, I will use the Purdue.

Thank goodness.   I've also really been missing meatballs in spaghetti sauce!  As for the loaves,  I've bagged it up into single servings (2 slices) and put them in the freezer. 

How about you?  Have you had to modify fave foods due to market disappointments?

Click here to return to Melissa Majora main page.

10 comments:

  1. We are practically going meatless until February 12 when we can get our beef butchered. I did buy some local ground beef at $4 a lb. which is outrageous and I won't do it again.

    Think about buying a whole turkey, deboning it and then grinding your own.....that would really be going back in time but I bet it would be delicious. I have a meat grinder that fits my new Professional size Kitchen aid. I inherited all Mom's attachments for her old mixer and believe it or not they fit all the KA's! I want to buy some pork roasts and make my own sausage.....waiting for a sale for that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a couple turkeys in the freezer, but I'd rather just roast them. Also, I have no grinder, heck not even a mixer. LOL Glad you get so much use out of yours. Bet you can't wait until Feb. Hang in there.

      Delete
  2. Forgot to say the meatloaf looks very good. Beautiful even slices.....I do the worst job slicing anything evenly; it is embarrassing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Remember when I blogged about my new bread knife? It does a great job on things like meatloaf too.

      Delete
  3. I'm sure you were more than pleased to find this! The loaf looks really tasty. :) Now, if I could only find a good substitute for our homegrown ground chevon.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. That turkey loaf looks delicious. I might well keep this in mind as alternative Christmas meal option for next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could I possibly take copies of your pictures to advertise this loaf on my blog? I then would also give reference to your blog, of course!

      Delete
    2. Certainly, Sarina. You go right ahead. Yes, with the red and green bell peppers, the loaf certainly looks seasonal, doesn't it? :-D P.S. The series is one big pic, not individuals. If you need a single pic, let me know and I'll email it to you.

      Delete
    3. Thanks for your support. I shall make a special post on my blog about it. I`m taking your pics from your blog which should be fine.

      Delete
  5. I love your recipe and shall make good use of the basic idea. Due to meat prices constantly rising here in Britain I have a few good ideas of my own to stretch this brilliant recipe. This will help my purse as well as give me much more options for the use of the turkey loaf. Many thanks for sharing this lovely recipe! Have a Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete