From harvest to table ~ what's cooking now?

This blog shows where all those garden goodies I grow end up. I call this little eating area next to the stove my "chef's table" because at all the best restaurants it's a privilege to be invited to dine in the kitchen where the chef reigns supreme. So here I am "reigning" and you are all invited. :-D

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Back from the brink

I was cleaning the 'fridge after the holidays and found my long-forgotten milk and water kefir grains languishing in the back of the bottom shelf.

The dates on the lids advised they'd been neglected for a good 3 months.

I expected I'd have to just compost them.  But hey - let's give 'em a chance.

I put both types of grains through a couple of room-temp cycles and low and behold, both came back full strength!

I'd gotten so enthusiastic about kefirs at the beginning of 2013, then I got so ill that fun stuff like this just fell off the table.  Thankfully the kefirs are so forgiving and they waited for me. :-D

Now I've got to start using both types a little more often.  I'm thinking a soda bread today and some fizzy fruit juice too.  Stay tuned.

Click here to return to Melissa Majora main page.

No comments:

Post a Comment