From harvest to table ~ what's cooking now?

This blog shows where all those garden goodies I grow end up. I call this little eating area next to the stove my "chef's table" because at all the best restaurants it's a privilege to be invited to dine in the kitchen where the chef reigns supreme. So here I am "reigning" and you are all invited. :-D

Saturday, January 25, 2014

Mushroom meatloaf

It was bitter cold and snowing and winds up 30-40 mph.

I was depressed.

So I spent some time in the kitchen.

I had another 3# pack of ground turkey so decided to make up a couple more meatloafs.

This time I decided to make them a little more savory than the last one (which was mostly veg for flavor).

So I browned up a carton of baby portabella mushrooms to add new flavor and texture.

I also added 1/4C of Worcestershire sauce - now that's savory!

I added the rest of the suspects:  3 beaten eggs, 1C rolled oats, diced green & red peppers, 1C shredded zuke and a whole bunch of herbs and spices (among them: garlic granules, dried onions, celery seed, smoked paprika, chipotle powder, cumin, salt and cracked black pepper).

Mixed together and formed 2 loaves, into a 375F oven for about 1.75 hr.

While the oven was hot I also scrubbed 10 large sweet potatoes to roast on the lower shelve.

Then I went out to get 6 inches off the driveway before the next wave of winter hit.

There.  Driveway clear (which lasted only 15 minutes - check the main blog page).

I came in and removed the sweet potatoes, then turned on the broiler.  For the few minutes it took for me to chuck off all my winter gear, the meatloafs got a nice toast to them.

There.  Hot lunch is served.

Taste?  Even better than the last batch.  Much more umami (savory taste) to the loaves.  I'll remember the mushroom/ Worchestershire sauce and the dried onions next time.

This recipe is a keeper.  Oh - the potatoes were also delish - sweet and creamy.


Do you change your recipes often?  Dink with them?  Or use up something on hand?  Does it usually work out for you too?

Click here to return to Melissa Majora main page.

6 comments:

  1. This looks and sounds delicious! I need to spice up my meatloaf. I may make one today if I can scare up enough meat to make one.

    You cook such healthy meals; I am impressed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let us hear about your meatloaf, Glenda!

      Delete
  2. I often tinker with a recipe, and quite often also invent my own. I use whatever is on hand to make a large portion of something I can easily divide into three for my working lunches. I then will not mind eating the same thing three times in a row. It saves money, uses up scraps from the fridge, and stops me from buying lunch snacks whilst at work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I try something new I read dozens of recipes on the web, read reviews, then decide how MY approach will be and go from there. And truly, I bet I never make anything the same way twice at some level.

      Delete
  3. Oh my, that looks good enough to eat - even from South Africa LOL

    ReplyDelete