From harvest to table ~ what's cooking now?

This blog shows where all those garden goodies I grow end up. I call this little eating area next to the stove my "chef's table" because at all the best restaurants it's a privilege to be invited to dine in the kitchen where the chef reigns supreme. So here I am "reigning" and you are all invited. :-D

Monday, January 27, 2014

Rye soda bread

Another kitchen escape from the bitter weather.

I found I had some rye flour languishing in a bin, so thought I'd try a version of Irish soda bread.

I swapped out 100g of whole grain spelt flour with the rye flour, then also added 1.5T of caraway seeds.

To mark the difference from my regular quarter-score cuts in the loaf, I cross-hatched this one.

The bread took much longer to bake with the rye flour.

At the 35-min mark the loaf didn't thump 'hollow', so I let it go for another 6 minutes.

Then I turned off the oven and let it sit in there for another 5 minutes.

I should have let it go longer in the hot oven.

While the loaf thumped hollow, the center was still a bit undone.

I cut the loaf in half and put it back in a heated oven for 5 minutes just to dry it out a bit more.

In the end the loaf was heavier than normal, but the taste was really nice - like a rye bread.

I've missed rye bread since I gave up modern wheat so this was lovely.

Next time: oven temp a bit lower and increase time by at least 25%.

I'll be trying this one again soon.

Some day, however, I'm going to have to try making some yeast bread.  But my house is way too cold for any rising in winter and when it's warm outside, who wants to heat up the kitchen making bread?

Buddy Dave gave me his old bread machine.  Maybe I should try playing with that during this week's polar (neg double digits again) temps.  Stay tuned.

Click here to return to Melissa Majora main page.

5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. And it really toasts up nice too.

      Delete
  2. Kris two ways to increase the heat for rising: l. Put pan on stove with a inch or so of water, heat it to boiling. Turn off. Place rack over and put covered bread on the rack.

    Another is to use a heating pad.with a towel to insulate around it. Sometimes just the oven with the pilot light (if you have one) on will be enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good tips there, Glenda. And I've not seen an appliance with a pilot light in years. They are all electronic ignition now. I do have a shelf on the furnace downstairs that is always warm in winter. Might be able to use that for free warmth. I envy you your bread mojo.

      Delete
  3. another place is the top of some major appliances, freezer, old fridge, etc.

    ReplyDelete