From harvest to table ~ what's cooking now?

This blog shows where all those garden goodies I grow end up. I call this little eating area next to the stove my "chef's table" because at all the best restaurants it's a privilege to be invited to dine in the kitchen where the chef reigns supreme. So here I am "reigning" and you are all invited. :-D

Sunday, January 12, 2014

Vegetable soup

I eat a lot of soup.

I MAKE a lot of soup.

Yet, for the 4+ years I've had this "Chef's Table" page and the near 6 years of the main page, I've never had an entry about actually making soup.

Oh sure, there are many pics of many kinds of soup on the main page, but for all you know I've just heated up a can of Progresso!

So here is my first real soup entry:  Vegetable.

I start with about 4C of homemade veg stock (from my garden goodies).  While that's defrosting/heating, I chop up the usual suspects: carrots, celery and white potatoes.

Now in a 2nd little saucepan, I start cooking the carrots and celery in about 1C of water.  When the carrots are half way done, I add the potatoes.

Meanwhile, in the boiling veg stock, I add 1/3C pearled barely, pre-steamed cabbage ribbons, and defrosted chick peas and green beans.  Then I add 2T of tomato paste, hot pepper, garlic, salt and cracked black pepper.

By the time the carrots & potatoes are near done I add them, liquid and all to the stock and let the whole thing simmer until the barley is tender but not mushy.  Right at the end I also add a few generous pinches of marjoram and some garden parsley sprigs.

Serve with some home-made (thanks, Dave) spelt toast strips for dunking and you've got something that Progresso only WISHED they could serve up!

What I really love about soup is  - it never turns out the same 2ce. LOL  (And I'm sure you'd agree!) There are no measurements, recipe or guidelines other than - start with homemade stock and go from there.  Happy lunch, everyone!     (Note to self: this batch made 2.5Q)

Click here to return to Melissa Majora main page.

2 comments:

  1. The one thing I have never done is make vegetable stock. Expand on this please. Is this leftover water from cooking vegetables or do you make it 'on purpose'? As always the soup looks wonderful. We had bean soup again yesterday....was going to add potatoes to it but I got sidetracked and let them burn! It was good anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Glenda. Yes, I make veg stock every Fall 'on purpose'. I fill a large kettle with tomatoes (mostly paste but some juicier), then add what's in the garden: green beans, zukes (or summer squash), onions, garlic, parsley, a carrot, a celery, a large potato. My ratio is tom/veg (about 5/2) or thereabouts. Then I cook it all down for hours then strain the stock. I freeze it into 3C bags and put the solid material in the compost. Click "stock" on the sidebar and you'll find my veg stock post.

      Delete