From harvest to table ~ what's cooking now?

This blog shows where all those garden goodies I grow end up. I call this little eating area next to the stove my "chef's table" because at all the best restaurants it's a privilege to be invited to dine in the kitchen where the chef reigns supreme. So here I am "reigning" and you are all invited. :-D

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Corn-fused

If you think I'm some sort of cooking savant, you'd be wrong.

Really wrong.

After all, I only publish my successes, or work-in-progress recipes, etc.

Here's one that turned out to be a total failure.

Corn tortillas.

How the heck could I mess this up?

Masa harina flour + hot water.  Let sit covered for 20 minutes.

Roll or press into rounds.  (This was tricky - the dough was a bit sticky and I had no press, so I tried rolling them out between plastic.  Rolled out well, but then would not release from the bottom one.  Okay, tried rolling out on parchment paper on bottom and plastic on top.  Then they would release from the parchment better a little better.)

Slap into a hot, ungreased griddle.  Let toast until - well - done.

Eat and enjoy.

All went well until the last part.  "Eat and enjoy."

There was no eating, no enjoying.

Instead these things were tough and terrible.  So inedible that even when hacked up (there was no tearing them) into pieces and put out under the bird feeder, birds and squirrels ignored them.

Not only could I not chew them, they didn't even have any corn taste.

What did I do wrong?  They looked picture perfect.  But they might as well have been made of construction paper.

*sigh*  Irony is - I'd made these up to go with a batch of chili made with new ingredients.  The chili was, in the end, also not very good.  I'm blaming this terrible winter - it's making me crazy and affecting my food mojo.

Thankfully I'd also made up a batch of spelt tortilla dough and within no time I'd had a big plate of toasted tender tortillas.

Maybe I cooked the corn ones too long?

Will I try again?  Maybe.

Meanwhile, to console myself - a blackberry salad and meatloaf & sprout sandwich for lunch.

*munch*  Ah, good stuff.

And if you have any suggestions on the corn tortillas (other than watching youtube which I did a lot), I'd appreciate your input.

Click here to return to Melissa Majora main page.

2 comments:

  1. The only ones I have made were just flour but they called for a lot of kneading.....maybe kneading would have helped? I wouldn't give up. I can't tell you how many pies I made that were flops and doughnuts and angel food cakes. I think cooking requires lots of practice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My spelt (wheat) tortillas come out great (little kneading - very little gluten in spelt). Masa Harina flour is already cooked, then dried and powdered. It doesn't need kneading. I guess I just got confused that I should be cooking faster and having something soft and not toasted instead of shooting for a 'corn chip' . I'll try again, never fear.

      Delete