From harvest to table ~ what's cooking now?

This blog shows where all those garden goodies I grow end up. I call this little eating area next to the stove my "chef's table" because at all the best restaurants it's a privilege to be invited to dine in the kitchen where the chef reigns supreme. So here I am "reigning" and you are all invited. :-D

Sunday, August 10, 2014

Because I can!

I've used up (and given away lots) the wide-mouthed quart jars making B&B refrigerator pickles.

So now, with the cuke tsunami continuing, I've started using the wide-mouth half-gallon jars.

With the cukes (count is now 55 and each at LEAST 13-16" long and weighing 1.5 to 2#), there is no doubt this is the best cuke harvest/ pickle year ever!

And don't think that a huge 2# cuke would be woody, bitter and full of seeds.  Not these Sweet Success.  The 2-pounder was crisp, sweet and nearly seedless as promised!

I'm taking a pickle break right now and am just sharing out and scarfing down delicious cuke salads.

Click here to return to Melissa Majora main page.

2 comments:

  1. picked my first mature cuc yesterday and gifted it. I do have lots of little ones coming along though so I am anxiously waiting to try your refrigerator pickles.
    I may have missed it, but are the cucs you are growing called 'sweet success'? :) I will have to try growing your very successful kind! lol! The ones I am growing right now are straight eights

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lois. Yeah, the variety IS called "Sweet Success" - an all-female, self-pollinating breed. I love it. I used to grow straight eights and marketmore, but am totally in love with the SS now. Hope you get some crop soon.

      Delete