From harvest to table ~ what's cooking now?

This blog shows where all those garden goodies I grow end up. I call this little eating area next to the stove my "chef's table" because at all the best restaurants it's a privilege to be invited to dine in the kitchen where the chef reigns supreme. So here I am "reigning" and you are all invited. :-D

Monday, September 1, 2014

Summer heat = summer salads

There's not been a day gone by in the past 6-8 weeks that I've not enjoyed some sort of salad.

I haven't had a taco salad in a while, ever since the cukes started pouring out of the garden.

Instead I've had so many kinds of salads, so many colorful plates that I just had to share a few with you. 

Lots of greens, fruit, beans, cottage cheese, fresh veg, humus, cheeses.... you name it, it got piled on a plate.

Gotta love those veggies.

The last of the cuke vines came down today but I still have a half-dozen of the gorgeous things in the 'fridge and am enjoy paring them up with the ripening tomatoes.

(Total 2014 cucumber take:  30 from the deck vines, 59 from the fence vines and, at 1.25~2# apiece, that's easily 130# of cukes off of 4 vines.  Zowee!)

Cuke salads, piled high with fresh cukes, peppers, onions, tomatoes, any kind of fruit and topped with spicy grilled chicken and toasted almonds, it's just about the best salad ever.

(Well, honestly, it's a toss up between that and the taco salad. But I can make taco salad anytime.  Fresh tomatoes and cukes are fleeting and must be savored while they last!! It'd be criminal NOT to!)

Sure hope you've been enjoying some nice light meals over the hot humid days.

Super sweet cucumber & tomato salad


 Click here to return to Melissa Majora main page.


2 comments:

  1. WOW!! Every one of those look fantastic! My kind of meal...:) Mealtime is never boring for you lately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to keep meals interesting and visually attractive, else I fall into bad eating habits. Lunches like this are easy. It's the evening meal that gives me trouble....

      Delete