From harvest to table ~ what's cooking now?

This blog shows where all those garden goodies I grow end up. I call this little eating area next to the stove my "chef's table" because at all the best restaurants it's a privilege to be invited to dine in the kitchen where the chef reigns supreme. So here I am "reigning" and you are all invited. :-D

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

An eye-opening egg-sperience

I found a neighbor (actually my insurance agent) who has a farmette nearby.  Come to find out he sells brown eggs for $2/doz. 

I was looking forward to a fresh farm egg vs store bought.  I used to have a friend who free-ranged hens and those eggs were outstanding.

I was hoping for the same.

Here's the comparison: 

Pic 1:  farm eggs (top), store-bought brown eggs (center), health-food store organic eggs (bottom).

Pic 2: cracked eggs in same sequence as cartons.

I saw very little difference between the 3 types of eggs.  The farm eggs were a tad darker and a bit more viscous but that would be expected.  The eggs were barely a day old compared to the other 2 types.  Still, I was disappointed, though, truthfully, not all that surprised.

I'd visited the agent's farmette and found her hens were in a dirt pen and rather overcrowded.  I think they only got chicken feed.  I sort of felt sorry for them.

I didn't buy any more eggs for a while.  In the meantime, they got rid of their rather aggressive rooster and, maybe due to my blogger tales of free range/ pastured hens, they let the gang out into a big field.

When I learned of this, I hurried to buy more eggs, just to see what happened over the past 4 weeks.  Yep.

Check out the 3rd pic: pastured free-range egg vs a store-bought organic 'free range' egg.   Night and day, folks.  Night and day.

And  the difference didn't stop at looks.  Nosiree!  These eggs are rich - flavorful and smell wonderful cooking.

When I got the last dozen eggs this week, she told me not only were they surprised at the difference in the eggs, but that the chickens all looked much better and behaved nicer.  (Well - duh!  Happy hens!)

I hope they continue to let the hens out during the day.  After all, everyone benefits.  She's afraid, though, that they might be predated.  But isn't that the risk vs keeping something their whole life in a cage?  I hope, for the hens' sake, that they get to keep their healthier, happier lifestyle.  Trouble is, so many 'farmers/ranchers' are so concerned about animal control, that what ends up on the table is sometimes hardly worth eating.  'Nuff said.

Meanwhile, back in the kitchen, just look at the color of my latest batch of savory oatmeal wedges compared to the pics on my previous post about the oatmeal wedges

And flavor?  10 out of 10.  Yum.

Click here to return to Melissa Majora main page.

2 comments:

  1. Letting the chickens out onto lots of grass and dirt makes all the difference. We really noticed that this summer when our 'helpers' tore out the old chicken yard. That left just the bare dirt run for them. Our' 'helpers' have not returned (another story there maybe) so day before yesterday I rigged a pen for them. I am waiting to compare yolks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can see the difference bugs, fresh greens, exercise, etc. effect the eggs. I can only imagine that a chick hatched from one of those big orange yolks make a better hen than something from those pale yellow things. Hope your yolks color up for you.

      Delete