From harvest to table ~ what's cooking now?

This blog shows where all those garden goodies I grow end up. I call this little eating area next to the stove my "chef's table" because at all the best restaurants it's a privilege to be invited to dine in the kitchen where the chef reigns supreme. So here I am "reigning" and you are all invited. :-D

Saturday, October 25, 2014

Talkin' turkey

Last year Honeysuckle Whites were on sale for $.69/lb.  I bought 3 - 1 for Thanksgiving and 2 for the freezer.

We feasted at Thanksgiving, then I made soup from the leftovers.  All was delicious.

In June this year, I roasted up a 2nd turkey for summer salads.  And something went terribly wrong.  I don't know if it was the bird or that I lost track of my roasting time, but the result was completely inedible!  I've never had a bad bird before - not even with the occasional unknown brand.

Nope.  I think I miscalculated the time and it must've been in the oven for an hour longer than I thought.  The bird came out like old shoes.  Dry.  Stringy.  I couldn't even chew it.  It was a total failure and not even good for soup.  What a loss.

So I was leery when I decided to roast up the 3rd bird.  No worries.  It came out trumps!  I enjoyed a good meal, then shredded/froze the meat and carcass for soup/stock.

A couple of weeks ago I made up the stock. 

To the stockpot I added a potato, couple of carrots, celery tops, onion, parsley, bay leaf and spices.

The stock simmered away nearly 6 hours and smelled wonderful.

Before straining the stock, I fished out the carrots, potato and onion and served it with a bit of stock and dried parsley.  Omigosh those veg were so tender and savory.

In the end I got 4.5 shy quarts (Ball jars do NOT hold 4 full cups!) of dense stock.  I'm looking forward to using the stock for turkey soup or stew this winter.

P.S.  Just back from the store yesterday and saw that Marcs have in Thanksgiving turkeys now.  Honeysuckle whites again.  AND only $.69/pound!   More goodies for the freezer.  Yay!

Click here to return to Melissa Majora main page.

4 comments:

  1. I had one turkey once and with company that was terrible! I just figured it was really old.

    I am waiting for the sales to begin here before stocking up. I also plant to buy a lot of sweet potatoes if they get really cheap.

    That was a lot of stock from one turkey7

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, from 1- 12# turkey. There was veg in there too, but mostly just a carcass and meat remnants, some veg. I put in 4Q water to the pot. It was a good batch for sure.

      Delete
  2. mmm...just love turkey and all the leftovers. We had our thanksgiving this month and had three days (two of leftovers) of turkey, then froze everything left for soup on the weekend. I love to make soup for supper on Saturday night. That weekend was 'turkey vegetable barley' and was so good with rosemary as the seasoning.
    I have had a turkey or two that I just thought was awful. :)

    Nice looking stock! Turkey at 69cents a pound? it has been a long time since we have seen prices that good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At $.69/pound, turkey is on the menu more than on holidays. My 5.5/cuft freezer is full w/veg etc so have made an arrangement with a neighbor to put a couple frozen Honeysuckle whites over there this winter. That is so nice of them. I promised them some soup. :-D

      Delete