From harvest to table ~ what's cooking now?

This blog shows where all those garden goodies I grow end up. I call this little eating area next to the stove my "chef's table" because at all the best restaurants it's a privilege to be invited to dine in the kitchen where the chef reigns supreme. So here I am "reigning" and you are all invited. :-D

Monday, November 17, 2014

Ham-alicious!

When I need ham (for split pea or bean soup), I usually just get a "tavern ham" (a 3# boneless ham) and shred it.

This time I thought I'd see if there is any difference by buying a fully cooked, ham-with-bone. 

First off - the price!  Sure, it was only $2.29/lb vs the other, but at 7.25#, it set me back over $16.00.  Ouch.

So I sectioned up the ham, put it in the dutch oven, and let it slow-cook for a couple of hours until the bone stuck out both ends.

When cooled, I got about 4# of ham. (There was a lot of fat and a goodly knob of bone.)  Hmmm.  Now the price (meat only) comes to about $4.50/lb. 

Then I used the bone for stock.  After 4-5 hrs of simmer, I got a tad over 2 quarts of a well-gelled stock.  I packed it up in 1C bags for flavoring winter soups.

Bottom line - I guess I'd do it again.  The ham was better tasting, more tender than the boneless and the stock is a real bonus.

How about you?  When you use ham, do you have a favorite?

Click here to return to Melissa Majora main page.

2 comments:

  1. I always got the Cook's butt portion ham. Hubby got his "pig-out" rations from it and the carcass was MY favorite part. A good sized ham made up a lot of broth.
    We recently found an "all -natural" farm down by Grand Rapids. I just bought one of their chemical-free smoked hams and it is going to be used for Thanksgiving--I'm looking forward to actually trying the meat for a change. But the thing is DINKY, so I'm not sure what I'll end up with for broth..............hopefully at least 4 cups !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish I had some wholesome meats nearby. Let me know how your ham/stock turns out. Take me some pics for email. :-)

      Delete