From harvest to table ~ what's cooking now?

This blog shows where all those garden goodies I grow end up. I call this little eating area next to the stove my "chef's table" because at all the best restaurants it's a privilege to be invited to dine in the kitchen where the chef reigns supreme. So here I am "reigning" and you are all invited. :-D

Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Gluten-free pizza crust

One of the most missed food ever since I went wheat-free is PIZZA!!

I've had a couple of restaurant-made gluten free pizzas over the past year.

None of them were worth my time and money.  

It was time to bite the bullet and try a Bob's Red Mills' Gluten-free pizza crust mix.  I figured it couldn't be worse than any of the other GF crusts I've had.

The mix is a blend of non-wheat flours, starches, gums, etc.  It comes with a packet of yeast.  You add 2 eggs, warm water and 2T of olive oil.

I followed the instructions to the letter.  (I don't make changes to something until I've worked up a baseline entry.) I don't have a mixer so just used a spatula to mix the wet & dry ingredients.  Bread dough it ain't.  More like a biscuit dough - and moist and just a tad sticky.

I let it sit, covered for the required 20 minutes, and saw no difference in the dough afterwards, but it was a bit softer.

It said to wet your hands and pat the dough out on a greased pan.  I prefer to bake on parchment paper.  The dough didn't spread/flatten easily.  I futzed with it until it was a more-or-less even thickness, then spritzed it with olive oil and sprinkled garlic granules and Italian seasoning.  Baked for 9 minutes at 425F.

I topped the half-baked crust with sauce, turkey pepperoni, shredded moz & hot pickled peppers.  Back into the toaster oven for another 18 minutes.  (Tip: turn the broiler on for the last 2-3 minutes to really brown up the meat and cheese and add crunch to the edge of the crust.)

Bottom line - a lot of work (well, for someone who's only pizza prep before was dialing a phone - LOL).  From opening the bag to plating up the pizza, it took 1 hr & 20 minutes.  Upside - I have half the dough in the fridge for a future pizza.

The crust was (as expected) more gummy than real bread, but at least it wasn't dry or crumbly.  The toaster oven pan was only 7.5x10", so the crust was almost 1/2" -- too thick I'm thinking.  Next time I'll use less dough and try to get it around 1/4" thick.

That said, the final pizza was -- pretty good!  I've had some 'real' pizzas not this good, so I'm thinking Bob's Red Mill GF crust will tide me over when I just gotta have pizza!

How about you?  Tried Bob's Red Mill products?  Or do you have a good home-made GF pizza dough to share?  Let me know.... please! LOL

=================

Next day update:  I'm sad to inform, but I'm experiencing some gastric distress - probably a reaction to the XANTHAM gum in the crust mix.  Too bad.  I won't make up the 2nd roll of dough in the 'fridge, just toss it.  *sniffle*  I miss pizza!

Click here to return to Melissa Majora main page.

2 comments:

  1. I have a bag of this in my pantry---haven't worked up the "nerve" to make it yet.
    Maybe I'll just wait for you to invite me for a pizza party!!
    :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine was in the cupboard for a couple of months until today. If you use it, try making the crust not too thick when you flatten it out. Let me know how it goes. Honestly, it's not bad at all.

      Delete