From harvest to table ~ what's cooking now?

This blog shows where all those garden goodies I grow end up. I call this little eating area next to the stove my "chef's table" because at all the best restaurants it's a privilege to be invited to dine in the kitchen where the chef reigns supreme. So here I am "reigning" and you are all invited. :-D

Friday, December 12, 2014

Mushroom omelet

I was in the mood for something different for supper.  For more than a week it's been soup or chili or something savory in a bowl. It was time to put down the spoon!

Hmmm.  I had fresh farm eggs, some darling little mushrooms and a bag of shredded moz.

Time for an omelet.

I'd never seen these little 'clump' mushrooms before so when Dave and I came across them at Beiler's, we each grabbed a carton.

I'm ashamed to say that 'the grab' happened 4 weeks ago.  I'm astonished that the 'shrums did fine in the unopened container.  I guess it's because they were all attached to their root? Like those gourmet heads of lettuce you can buy that have their roots still attached?

Anyway, I broke off a handful and browned them in some coconut oil.  That didn't take more than a minute.  The 3rd pic shows the golden color.  Too bad it doesn't convey the rich fragrance.  The pic also shows that someone kept tasting the 'shrooms along the way.  Bad chef!

Once those were browned I poured in the eggs, herbs and shredded moz.

I let the bottom firm up and folded it over, turned off the heat and covered for a couple of minutes (I like my eggs firm).

Meanwhile I'd steamed some peppered-up potato slices in the microwave, plated everything up and voila!

Something that required a fork!  LOL

It smelled wonderful.  And taste?  Well, I must report that it took less time to enjoy the little meal than it took to prepare.

I actually thought I'd take a pic mid-way, but that didn't happen.

I look forward to using these long-lived little mushrooms in the future.  Gotta love something that lasts longer than the original impulse buy.

How about you?  Done with those Thanksgiving leftovers by now?

Click here to return to Melissa Majora main page.

2 comments:

  1. That looks wonderfully yummy. We're finishing up the Thanksgiving turkey as an eternal soup. You know, the kind where every day you add the previous days leftovers. Still yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hat to laugh at your 'eternal' soup. The very next day I couldn't help myself and made up another pot of turkey soup. Darn that stuff is good. Like you, I mix up ingredients. Gotta love stuff. Yum.

      Delete