From harvest to table ~ what's cooking now?

This blog shows where all those garden goodies I grow end up. I call this little eating area next to the stove my "chef's table" because at all the best restaurants it's a privilege to be invited to dine in the kitchen where the chef reigns supreme. So here I am "reigning" and you are all invited. :-D

Saturday, February 14, 2015

More meatloaf

As promised, here's what I did with that big buy of ground turkey:  a couple of meatloafs.

I used 5# of ground turkey.  Then I followed my old recipe from previous posts: mushrooms, onions, shredded zuke, diced peppers, worcestershire sauce, eggs, spices, oatmeal....

When everything was in the bowl and mixed as well as could be with a large spoon, I used very clean hands to do the final mix.  It seemed a little softer than usual so I added another 1/2C of oatmeal.  That firmed it up a bit.

It wasn't until the loaves were ready to pop into the oven and I'd just checked the actual recipe that I realized *DOH*  I was using 5# of meat, not 3# !!!!   Dang it!  No wonder it wasn't as firm as expected.  Not enough oatmeal, eggs, and spices.

Arrrrrgh.   Oh well, too bad, so sad.

Two hours later I had 2 nice loaves colorful thanks to the peppers and zukes.  I left them overnight in the breezeway (all covered - it was only 33F in there) to firm up. 

They sliced up well and took a half a loaf over to Mom who just loves meatloaf sandwiches.

Today, however, I didn't want another sandwich.  I had some greens that needed used up, so decided on a hot salad.

I browned up some thick strips of meatloaf and tossed them (artfully, no?) over the greens/onions and pomegranite seeds.

Pretty AND filling.  How about you?  How do YOU enjoy this king of comfort food?

Click here to return to Melissa Majora main page.
 

4 comments:

  1. Hubby LOVES meatloaf on the day it's made. with oodles of gravy and a side of mashed potatoes---he's not a fan of leftovers on it.
    I love it leftover and sliced on well-buttered bread with lots of salt
    Dang.....I miss cheap white bread at times like this........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To me, meatloaf is like turkey -- it's done up mainly for the leftover goodies. Even when I COULD eat cheap white bread, I didn't like it. But oh how I miss a crusty, chewy Italian loaf. *drool*

      Delete
  2. Meatloaf looks very tasty. We enjoy it (beef,of course) sometimes I mix in sausage for a different flavor. WE also like meatloaf sandwiches. I have never tried it over salad but bet we would enjoy that too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made up a couple meatloafs once with turkey and pork - talk about yummy! When you brown up meatloaf it gets that nice golden crust which makes it even more tasty. Grilled meatloaf sandwiches are another good way to go.

      Delete