From harvest to table ~ what's cooking now?

This blog shows where all those garden goodies I grow end up. I call this little eating area next to the stove my "chef's table" because at all the best restaurants it's a privilege to be invited to dine in the kitchen where the chef reigns supreme. So here I am "reigning" and you are all invited. :-D

Sunday, March 8, 2015

Loooong simmer - broth vs stock

Now that the driveways are cleared, I was able to trek over to the neighbor's and retrieve a turkey from her freezer.  (I buy 3 turkeys in October when they are on sale. But I don't have room to store them so the nabe's allow me space in their big deep freezer.  Swell guys, no?)

Anyhoo -- while so many were dealing with Thor, we enjoyed a quiet weather day, I roasted a 15# bird.

I did things a bit differently this time.  I roasted the neck/giblets right in the bag with the bird. Didn't think it would make much difference but easier than simmering them up separately.  Got 1.5Q of liquid.  

The next day that stuff was gelled like no other batch - not soft and wobbly, but stiff enough to slice.  I kinda felt sorry for the bird - look how little fat there was.  How did it ever keep warm?

Anyway, after some serious time out in the breezeway, the cold meat was stripped, the bones put into the stockpot (soaked in cool water with the gelled stock and 2T AS vinegar) then the usual suspects: 4Q water, carrot, potato, onion, celery, a tomato, garlic, bay leaf, marjoram, thyme, black pepper, chipotle powder, and parsley.  I even added that little bit of fat from the gell.  (Fat IS flavor, after all and can easily be skimmed off the broth when it's cooled.)

This time it's not gonna be a 5-6 hours simmer.  Nosirree.  I've been reading up.  Stock is when you simmer up bones without additives.  Broth is when you fortify it with veg, herbs and spices.  One chef said that ... if you can dish up the veg in your broth and they still taste good and have some texture, then you haven't simmered it long enough!  All the ingredients have to give themselves up to the broth.  Go 24 hours on the simmer.

Well, no way will I go 24 hours.  I don't like having the stove on while I'm asleep.  But 12 hours I can do.  It's on low simmer right now since 9:00 a.m. this morning.  Can't wait to update this post with results.  How about you?  Short simmer or long?  Stock or broth?

===================

Update:  after 30 mins soaking bones in cool water w/AS vinegar and 10+hrs at the simmer, I ended up with clean bones, a mash of meat and veg, and 6 quarts of savory broth.  Ah, I can't tell you how great the kitchen smells right now.

I'll definitely do the long simmer again in the future.

Click here to return to Melissa Majora main page.

2 comments:

  1. Very interesting. I wonder how a large crock pot would work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read lots of blogs where they use a crockpot for stock, even for overnight.

      Delete