From harvest to table ~ what's cooking now?

This blog shows where all those garden goodies I grow end up. I call this little eating area next to the stove my "chef's table" because at all the best restaurants it's a privilege to be invited to dine in the kitchen where the chef reigns supreme. So here I am "reigning" and you are all invited. :-D

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Onion & avo

Dani over at Eco Footprint posted how she found elsewhere how to keep a peeled avocado from going brown.

She kept her guacamole fresh and green with a slice of onion.

I like avocado in my salads, but only a little at a time (about 1/4 avo).

I used to put the rest of the avo in a baggie and then suck out all the air and it did pretty well overnight for the next salad, but not 100%.

So this time I put the cut avo in a bag with some cut onions (both for next salad) and after 2 days, (top pic) the avo was still lovely.

I used used more avo, put the rest back and 2 days later -- still a nice green avo!  Yay.

Now I won't be forced to a) use more avo than I want and b) waste less avo (they aren't cheap).

Thanks for posting this tip, Dani!  :-D


Click here to return to Melissa Majora main page.

2 comments:

  1. You know, I remember reading that post at Dani's but forgot about it! So glad you tried this and posted your results. It is a great tip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, pretty simple and since both the onion and avo go into salad, any cross flavor (which I didn't notice) is fine. Hope it works well for you too. :-D

      Delete