From harvest to table ~ what's cooking now?

This blog shows where all those garden goodies I grow end up. I call this little eating area next to the stove my "chef's table" because at all the best restaurants it's a privilege to be invited to dine in the kitchen where the chef reigns supreme. So here I am "reigning" and you are all invited. :-D

Saturday, October 3, 2015

Quick Chicken'n'rice

In a previous post I expressed my disappointment with Pacific brand organic chicken broth.

That said, I found cartons of Pacific gluten-free organic condensed soups at Marcs.  Pricey at 2/$5.00.  Still, the ingredients** were excellent (although so were the ingredients of the boxed broth).  I like to have condensed soups on hand for casseroles, creamed chicken, etc. so thought I'd give them a try.

Yesterday was a great day to do it.  I'm sick with flu and wanted something hot yet easily digestable.  And quick. Chicken'n'rice was the ticket, but homemade chicken'n'rices take a lot of time.  Time to try the new soup mix.  

The condensed soup was nice and thick if rather pale and sorta bland (but then, I all canned soups are bland to me and I always add stuff).  I stirred in 1C water and it stayed nice and creamy, not watery.  By then I'd added parsley, turmeric, marjoram, thyme, black pepper, garlic granules, onion salt, sea salt and chipotle powder.  That turned up the flavor volume!

To that I shredded in 2 small pieces of grilled chicken, brought it all to heat and poured 3/4C over 1C of rice.

Ah.  Good stuff.  

There was almost 1.5C soup left, so I poured that over a container of rice and popped it into the 'fridge for a couple more servings.

I had also picked up a carton of the cream of mushroom and look forward to trying it at a later date.

Nice thing about these cartons, they are ultra-pasturized so there is good shelf life here (best used by date on both is end of 2016).  I'm sure canned soup last forever what with all the preservatives, but this has shelf enough for me.

All and all, I'm glad I tried it.  As for price, heck, a simple can of Campbell's condensed mushroom soup runs around $1.25 and the ingredients## are almost frightening.  So for double I get safe, wholesome and delicious.  Organic and all non-GMO.  Yum.  It won't cure the flu, but it was comfort food nonetheless.

Click here to return to Melissa Majora main page.  

** (Pacific) water, chicken broth concentrate (water, chicken, rosemary extract), creme fraiche (cultured cream (milk)), cooked chicken, rice starch, rice flour, sea salt, chicken fat, garlic powder, onion powder

## (Campbell's) Chicken Stock , Wheat Flour , Chicken Fat , Chicken Meat Cooked , Cream , Corn Starch , Canola Oil , Corn Oil , Cottonseed Oil , Margarine , Chicken Mechanically Separated , Salt , Soybeans Oil , Water , Beta Carotene , Calcium Caseinate , Flavors Chicken , Chicken Powder , Dairy Blend Dried , Whey Dried , Food Starch Modified , Monosodium Glutamate , Flavoring Natural , Sodium Phosphate , Soy Protein Concentrate , Soy Protein Isolate , Spices Extractive , Whey , Yeast Extract


 

2 comments:

  1. That "mechanically separated" term always worries me.

    I need to look for a similar product down here because I use a lot of cream of mushroom soup in cooking (Campbell's of course).

    Your dish sound very good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was quite good and a comfort for the flu. I will definitely stock up on these soups for cooking too. The MSG in Campbell's makes my head and joints hurt and just look at all those 'enhancers'. Ick.

      Delete