From harvest to table ~ what's cooking now?

This blog shows where all those garden goodies I grow end up. I call this little eating area next to the stove my "chef's table" because at all the best restaurants it's a privilege to be invited to dine in the kitchen where the chef reigns supreme. So here I am "reigning" and you are all invited. :-D

Sunday, October 25, 2015

Roasted chicken

Found a whole chicken in the freezer from last Fall so thought I'd roast it up today.

I let it thaw for 5 hours, then opened the package, pulled out the giblet bag, rinsed the chicken with cold water then split the thing in half.

Trust me, cutting a raw chicken in half is NOT the song and dance you read in cookbooks or on the web.  *whew*  What a fight.

I won.

I put the halves in a broiler bag and let it roast for well over the alloted time.  

Just under 2 hours and the kitchen smelled like KFC - only better.

It pulled apart in sections.  Acutally when I grabbed a bone, the bone pulled out and then the tongs pulled the meat apart.

I ended up with lots of creamy, melt-in-your-mouth chicken and a container of skin, bones, wingtips, etc.

Looking at that container reminds me why I make turkey soup.  A turkey carcass got some serious bones!  Chickens - not so much.

I'll still simmer up the chix bones/etc and make a pot of broth with added veg and seasonings. But really, if I'm going to go through all the trouble, I'll take turkey over chicken for the bigger bang at the end.

Can't wait for some homemade chicken soup, though.  There is just no comparison with store bought.  I'll update this post when the broth is simmer up.


Click here to return to Melissa Majora main page.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment