From harvest to table ~ what's cooking now?

This blog shows where all those garden goodies I grow end up. I call this little eating area next to the stove my "chef's table" because at all the best restaurants it's a privilege to be invited to dine in the kitchen where the chef reigns supreme. So here I am "reigning" and you are all invited. :-D

Monday, October 19, 2015

Success & Failure - Sunday in the kitchen

Sunday barely got into the 40s with cold North winds and (I kid you not) some snowflakes!

I knew it was going to be a cold weekend (the tomato soup on Saturday) and now even colder on Sunday.

I planned ahead and defrosted chicken breasts and a turkey to keep me busy.

First I prepped the turkey and got it into the oven.  I was shocked when one of my 2 Chicago Cutlery paring knives broke when I tried to cut the stupid darn plastic brace they use to hold the legs together these days.  Crap Crap Carp.  I've had that knife for.ev.er.  Could not believe that it failed.
UPDATE:  Chicago Cutlery replaced the paring knife - gotta love a lifetime warranty!! 

Anyway, bird in oven, and off to the next dish: chicken'n'rice.

I used both Pacific organic products this time.  The condensed mushroom soup did the sauce proud in the pot of chicken and vegetables while the rice simmered away in their chicken broth.

Meanwhile, in the oven, a 14# bird roasted.

The kitchen smelled wonderful!!

After 2.5+ hours the meat thermometer showed the turkey was quite done so it was hoisted out and let set for a bit.

Soon the spicey chicken was done and the rice done.

The bird was dismembered and all 3 dishes where set into the sunroom to cool.  I opened the window and sliding door.  It was only 42F outside so it was just like putting stuff in the 'fridge.

All was hunky dunky so far (well, except for the knife).  When I went to bag up the cooled turkey - uh oh.  The juices in both dishes (dark and white) were undoubtedly PINK!  WTF??  This has never happened before.  I checked the oven thermometer often and temp kept between 325-350.  The time was good according to chart/weight. And the meat thermometer showed 180 in all the right places.

But this bird was underdone.  There was no getting around it.  Again, W T F ??  Well, there was nothing to do.  You cannot recook a cooled bird, so after 3 days of defrost, prep time, nearly 3 hours of roasting, and an hour of cooling/dismembering, the whole thing was bagged up - and put in the trash.  *sigh* But there is NO WAY I was going to risk me and Mom eating an underdone bird and getting sick.  

You just can't chose time/money over health. 

I should have listened to the paring knife.  It obviously wanted nothing to do with that bird.  

Thankfully the chicken'n'rice turned out.   
================
Saturday 10/24:  I was at Marcs.  The frozen turkeys have arrived.  A 16# bird now defrosting in the 'fridge.  

Ya gotta get right back on the horse else you'll lose your nerve. *heh*

(And, no I DON'T care that it's only a month until Thanksgiving; you just can't have enough turkey broth/ meat on hand for soups!) 



Click here to return to Melissa Majora main page.

4 comments:

  1. I always cook mine on a higher temperatures than recommended. Also I twist a leg to see if it comes away from the body some what. I bet it wasn't quite thawed. Bad luck. The chicken and rice sound very good. We call have our failures! My last bread was edible but not the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, don't know what happened there. Whadaya gonna do. We all have failures, just too bad the stores aren't full of turkeys yet. Will miss having turkey broth on hand for soups until then. Really missing the paring knife.

      Delete
  2. That's really odd, unless like gld said, it wasn't completely thawed. Bummer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeh, I'm beginning to think so too. It was in the fridge thawing Wed, Thur, Fri and Sat to roast on Sunday. It was only 14#. It felt soft and the juices flowed out of the bag when opened. Can't think of any other reason it didn't cook through though.

      Delete