From harvest to table ~ what's cooking now?

This blog shows where all those garden goodies I grow end up. I call this little eating area next to the stove my "chef's table" because at all the best restaurants it's a privilege to be invited to dine in the kitchen where the chef reigns supreme. So here I am "reigning" and you are all invited. :-D

Sunday, November 29, 2015

"Leftovers" stew

Thanksgiving was a nice no-stress event.  I roasted the turkey and sweet potatoes on Wednesday.

Thursday friends brought roasted carrots, dressing, pumpkin pie and pumpkin cheesecake.

All I had to do Thursday was make some gravy, heat up what needed heating, put out a dish of celery cuts & homemade pickles (yes, that one and only jar I successfully made in August), open a jar of cranberry relish, and voila.  

Feast.

Friday I rested (and washed a lot of dishes).

Saturday I took the leftover sliced turkey, roasted carrots, gravy, added some boiled potatoes & frozen peas and 2C of frozen turkey broth and again - voila.  

A thick and hearty turkey stew to share with my Mom and her brother on "Leftovers Saturday".

Even the leftover dressing (which had been initially baked into a loaf) was sliced as bread and used for dipping as well as a savory platform for the cranberry relish.

The Hunger Games producers should have such success with sequels!  (Mockingjay Pt I - thumbs down)

Hope your holiday was a satisfying mix of fun, family and friends.

===========

This morning (Sunday), more washing of dishes first and now simmering the turkey carcass with veg, herbs and spices to make more broth.

Turkey - the bird that keeps on giving.  Gobble gobble!

 Click here to return to Melissa Majora main page

6 comments:

  1. Great use of turkey leftovers. Nice idea about doing the dressing in a loaf. Wonder if my 'set- in- their- ways' family would be accepting?

    I don't get nearly that much or that colorful broth when I do the carcass. Have you any secrets to share?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am using carcass (skin, bones, giblets, etc), recouped drippings (from inside broiler bag - about 1.5Q), 4.5Q water, and 1Q of boxed chicken stock/broth and 1-2T of apple cider vinegar (to extract minerals from the bones). Then I simmer all that with celery leaves, carrots, onion, garlic, a potato, marjoram, thyme, black pepper and (for that lovely color) - turmuric. It's the last that goldens up the color and turns up the nutrition. I bring to boil then simmer until the end of day (usually 7-9 hours).

      The chicken broth is because I overbought broth on sale and am mixing it out - honestly you can't taste chicken in the final nearly 7Q of turkey broth.

      These bigger birds are really paying off in so much more broth (which has enough protein when done to gel in jars in the fridge overnight). Hope this helps.

      The loaf of dressing my friend brought slices like meatloaf. Really easy for leftovers or freezing extras. A tad drier than loose dressing, but just as tasty and a great platform for gravy or relish. Hope this helps.

      Delete
  2. Having help on Thanksgiving is one of the things I'm thankful for! Sounds like you put your leftovers to excellent use. It's the meal that keeps on giving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I've got 2 more birds in a nabe's deep freeze for late winter/early spring roasting. YUM Glad your holiday was nice too!

      Delete
  3. I actually made a turkey (though just a "roast") this year. Hubby was thrilled and so was I. Those little roasts only take 2 hours so I don't have that endless aroma of turkey drifting about. As for stuffing, I'm the only one that eats it. I slice it, freeze in individual slabs and then reheat in a pan with some butter. Good eats. Sometimes I'm sure the leftovers are the best part!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 16# bird only roasted for about 3 hours. As for the aroma -- that's one of the benefits! The house smells won.der.ful! GF stuffing I assume? What's your recipe?

      Delete