From harvest to table ~ what's cooking now?

This blog shows where all those garden goodies I grow end up. I call this little eating area next to the stove my "chef's table" because at all the best restaurants it's a privilege to be invited to dine in the kitchen where the chef reigns supreme. So here I am "reigning" and you are all invited. :-D

Monday, November 16, 2015

Quick bean soup

It had been a long day outside in 40F temps and when I came in I wanted something quick, hot and savory.

Didn't have anything in the freezer ready to microwave (I've been too busy to batch cook).

I thought I still had a package of chili, the perfect meal, but -- no.  Dang!

When I was eating gluten I always had some cans of Progresso soups on hand for occasions like this.

I looked in the cupboard and saw I had a few cans of refried beans.  Hmmm.  I could fix them, layered up with chopped onions, cheese, salsa.... oh, it just sounded like way too much work.

As I was putting the can back, I happened to spot somthing on the label:

For a simple and satisfyiing soup, thin Goya Refried Pinto Beans with chicken stock or water to desired consistency.

Hey, now that sounded pretty good.  I had some frozen chicken broth (1C containers) so emptied the can into a pot, added in broth (about 3/4C) and stirred it until it bubbled.

I then tossed in a handful of kale shreds, let the soup simmer for 5-6 minutes while I grabbed some chips and a drink and VOILA!   Quick hearty lunch. (Too much for one meal actually. Well enough for 2 bowls.)

And let me tell you, this bean soup is waaaay beyond Campbell's  condensed bean/bacon soup to my taste buds.  Check the ingredients:

Cooked pinto beans, water, salt, soybean oil, garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder (chili peppers & spices), natural flavoring.   (Look ma! Real ingredients. Lower salt and no MSG or fillers! LOL)

Compare to Campbell's:  (I've tried finding this info on the web, even Campbell's site doesn't show ingredients in their soups - anywhere.  Now why IS that I wonder?  Next time I'm at the store I'll copy the info and update this post.)

Bottom line - best quick bean soup I've ever had.  I'll keep a few cans in the cupboard.  If I'd had more energy when I made this I would have trekked downstairs and brought up some chopped Easter ham to add to the mix.  Next time....

 Click here to return to Melissa Majora main page.

2 comments:

  1. My only complaint is why does everything have to have soybean oil in it! Real food people are not happy about this.

    The soup sounds good. I had white (ground pork) chili yesterday made from frozen pintos, meat and my canned tomatoes. Very tasty too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you on the soybean oil. To that effect, I've found another brand (Otoe's FINEST Brand) with "Cooked beans, water, salt, onion powder, chili pepper, spice, garlic powder". It's good too and I can add my own olive oil if I want. I'm not a fan of the ''natural flavoring'' stuff that could be just about ANYthing.

      Delete